Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! So, i'm a bit worried. I haven't done very well in my chemistry practicals. Practicals are definitley my weakest point. It counts for 20% of my final grade at AS. I was wondering whether this affects my chances of getting an A overall dramatically? Obviously I wouldn't have done absolutely attrociously and would not have got 0%, but I was wondering if I did really well in my F322 AND F321 papers, would it pull me down a grade?
    Btw, we are not allowed our marks back. They just pick the "best" ones and send it off to the examination board.

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    why aren't you allowed your marks back?

ReputationRep:
    and if you score really highly in both papers, it wont affect you as much. F322 has more weight in your final grade so focus on that paper, never the less, the coursework mark will effect you in some way. If 20% of your grade was A, it would be better, but due to the ridiculous boundaries and the fact that it is really difficult, this is quite hard to get, (well certainly for me anyway) Its not impossible to get an A with your ISA at a B/C/D but you have to do slightly better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saycrackagain)
    why aren't you allowed your marks back?
    The OCR board says that you are allowed to resit the practicals but no marks should be given out to any students. I know a lot of schools give their marks out anyways, but our school just loves to play by the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 031095)
    Hi! So, i'm a bit worried. I haven't done very well in my chemistry practicals. Practicals are definitley my weakest point. It counts for 20% of my final grade at AS. I was wondering whether this affects my chances of getting an A overall dramatically? Obviously I wouldn't have done absolutely attrociously and would not have got 0%, but I was wondering if I did really well in my F322 AND F321 papers, would it pull me down a grade?
    Btw, we are not allowed our marks back. They just pick the "best" ones and send it off to the examination board.

Please help!
    Yeah our school does that too , "you got 10/15 but we're not going to tell you where you went wrong" ... annoying cos then you have no idea how to get better

It won't pull you grade down too much though as long as you get good grades in the exams, as these are worth more

I find that the best thing to do with coursework is to find out the topic beforehand and learn everything you can about it, then try and think of what they might ask in the coursework and make a list of practice questions for yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilmzbest)
    Yeah our school does that too , "you got 10/15 but we're not going to tell you where you went wrong" ... annoying cos then you have no idea how to get better

It won't pull you grade down too much though as long as you get good grades in the exams, as these are worth more

I find that the best thing to do with coursework is to find out the topic beforehand and learn everything you can about it, then try and think of what they might ask in the coursework and make a list of practice questions for yourself
    We don't even get a mark back! Which is ridicilously annoying! Thank you for your advice

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 2, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.