Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For example: y = (5 - 8x - x^2) (x + 4)

I know how to find all the points etc but I I just don't know how to draw sketch the graph... Is there any way to work out were the graph starts from and how it looks?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That isn't a quadratic, it is a cubic. You are expected to know the general shape of a negative cubic.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by IShouldBeRevising_)
    For example: y = (5 - 8x - x^2) (x + 4)

I know how to find all the points etc but I I just don't know how to draw sketch the graph... Is there any way to work out were the graph starts from and how it looks?
    Er, that's not a quadratic - it's a cubic

Assuming that's the function you want to graph, it's not too difficult to sketch a cubic in general. Remember that when x is very big the term in x^3 is much bigger than anything else, so it dominates.

If you have a function with a positive number in front of the x^3 e.g. y = 4x^3 + something, then when x is very big and negative, y will also be big and negative; when x is big and positive, y is big and positive. So the graph starts at the "bottom left" and ends up "at the top right".

If you have a function with a negative number if front of the x^3 e.g. y = -2x^3 + something, then the behaviour is reversed - large negative x gives large positive y, and vice versa. So you start up in the "top left" and end up at the "bottom right"

So work out what's in front of your x^3 and use that to work out the large scale behaviour of the function. Next look for obvious zeros of the function and/or turning points.

ReputationRep:
    cubic graphs do not "start from" anywhere...

you should find the x intercepts (roots) and the y intercept. then draw the curve with two turning points.

job done
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by the bear)

you should find the x intercepts (roots) and the y intercept. then draw the curve with two turning points.

job done
    everything "starts from" somewhere...unless you have an infinite sheet of graph paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    That isn't a quadratic, it is a cubic. You are expected to know the general shape of a negative cubic.

(Original post by davros)
    Er, that's not a quadratic - it's a cubic

Assuming that's the function you want to graph, it's not too difficult to sketch a cubic in general. Remember that when x is very big the term in x^3 is much bigger than anything else, so it dominates.

If you have a function with a positive number in front of the x^3 e.g. y = 4x^3 + something, then when x is very big and negative, y will also be big and negative; when x is big and positive, y is big and positive. So the graph starts at the "bottom left" and ends up "at the top right".

If you have a function with a negative number if front of the x^3 e.g. y = -2x^3 + something, then the behaviour is reversed - large negative x gives large positive y, and vice versa. So you start up in the "top left" and end up at the "bottom right"

So work out what's in front of your x^3 and use that to work out the large scale behaviour of the function. Next look for obvious zeros of the function and/or turning points.

job done
    Yeah I meant a cubic... not quadratic. Yeah Davros thanks for that info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    everything "starts from" somewhere...unless you have an infinite sheet of graph paper
    where do circles start from ? hmmm ? hmmm ?

mwahahahahahah

:captain:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    where do circles start from ? hmmm ? hmmm ?

mwahahahahahah

:captain:
    oh no, circles are undrawable...I don't know where to start from

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.