Turn on thread page Beta

How to get an A* and A at A Level Physics? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have currently got 112 in Unit 1 and 110 in Unit 2. I am taking Unit 4 and Unit 5 in June and I am taking my practical exams once I get back to college. My teacher has predicted that I will get around 40-45 UMS for both the practicals overall. With those grades (assuming that is what I will get for the practicals) how many UMS will I need in Unit 4 and Unit 5 for and A* and an A?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I have found my answer now and thought I would put it here for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread in the future.

These are the modules:

AS
    Unit 1 - out of 120 UMS
    Unit 2 - out of 120 UMS
    Unit 3 - out of 60 UMS

A2
    Unit 4 - out of 120 UMS
    Unit 5 - out of 120 UMS
    Unit 6 - out of 60 UMS

If you score 480/600 overall you will achieve an A and if you score 270/300 for A2 as well as 480/600 overall you will achieve an A*.

Thanks,

Kabeer

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Kvohra pretty much covered it. With 222/240 in the bag at the minute you've got 30 UMS clear of the A boundary. If you drop 30 UMS below the A grade (102 UMS in all your remaining exams) you will still get an A. A*s rely on your A2 exams independently and you must score a 90% average, therefore 270/300 UMS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Above are the marks you need to get to get the grades you want. But to achieve those grades I would recommend doing ALL the past papers. I made cards for every page in my physics textbook with terms I needed to known making sure I understood all the concepts as I went then did every single past exam on the exam boards website and got an A in my January module.
    Hope this helped !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeEToth)
    Above are the marks you need to get to get the grades you want. But to achieve those grades I would recommend doing ALL the past papers. I made cards for every page in my physics textbook with terms I needed to known making sure I understood all the concepts as I went then did every single past exam on the exam boards website and got an A in my January module.
    Hope this helped !
    Yeah I have done a lot of the exam papers all ready. I don't want to use them all yet because when I take them to test myself I already know the answers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    I got 112 in unit1 too just felt like saying lol sorry for being off topic
    Haha I have found Unit 4 and 5 so much harder though! I took Unit 4 in Jan and got 82 UMS which is worrying me whether I can get an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kvohra)
    Haha I have found Unit 4 and 5 so much harder though! I took Unit 4 in Jan and got 82 UMS which is worrying me whether I can get an A
    You're still on an A, and even if you get 80 in unit5 you can still get an A if my maths is correct. Provided that you got an A in the ISAs
    Good luck go for an a*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiden95)
    You're still on an A, and even if you get 80 in unit5 you can still get an A if my maths is correct. Provided that you got an A in the ISAs
    Good luck go for an a*
    Cheers mate, I will try!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 3, 2013

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.