Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Ways of keeping cats out of garden that doesn't affect dogs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys;

Well, my mum literally just asked me to get a dead pigeon off the trampoline because a cat just killed one (we don't have a cat) and feathers EVERYWHERE but no blood. Anyway, this is the first time, however, I want it to be the last.

Is there a way to keep cats out of the garden without affecting a 12 week old puppy (who is scared of cats at the moment)?

ReputationRep:
    There's several things you could do: If you have mostly high fences around your garden, you could get those pointy foam things to line the top of them, cats aren't able to get enough grip on them to successfully get themselves over. You could also get one (or two) of those fake cat fixtures that you can prop up in the garden to ward them away, some of them have a motion sensor that you can switch on at night, so that when a cat gets close enough it activates a light or sprays water in a given direction.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you could always get a sample of your puppy's urine and spray it around the perimeter of the garden. I didn't think to do this when I first got my puppies, we used to have cats sneak into to our garden a lot and leave their mess behind. But when our dogs started doing their businesses in the garden we never saw any of them ever again.

ReputationRep:
    apparently human pee does the trick too, though I can't say I've ever tried it!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do a piss all around the perimeter of your garden. Only works for men though apparently, I'm assuming it's something to do with testosterone. The cat will just think you've got a big, massive dog in there.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that cats really don't like citrus, so maybe some lemon juice as an alternative to dog wee?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Shotgun? (kidding)

I think I once heard something about artificial lion poo being effective at keeping out unwanted cats.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.