The Student Room Group

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Original post by g.k.galloway
I've always known you can but never actually done it...don't know why :smile: I might from now on, especially in biology tomorrow :smile:

You actually did not do it because you did not wanted to take any risk. You might have thought, what if I lose marks for doing this. right? :biggrin:
Reply 541
just did jan 2013 S: i screwd up the end and the young modulus question... 56/70 :'(
Original post by Goods
just did jan 2013 S: i screwd up the end and the young modulus question... 56/70 :'(

Alright! Good marks btw! :smile: I have not done jan 2013 yet but have helped a lot of people on that paper. HAHA :smile:
Original post by StalkeR47
For me? LOL! Thanks for asking. Currently, I am revising ICT for tomorrow and helping people on this thread. :smile: I did really well with my mathematics exam but the mechanics did not went well. Unit 1 this year was an absolute a gift. But, the grade boundaries will be higher of course. So, This must be year 13 for you right? If yes, which university are you looking towards to go and which course? I would want to do aeronautical engineering if I get the grades. The requirements are AAA-AAB. :P

Ah nice! I did ICT, but hated it at a level and dropped it at AS :') I sucked, got an E in the first exam, got a well higher grade when I resat it but that was still a C as the grade boundaries were ridiculously high, did well in the coursework though aha.

Yeah year 13, hopefully going to Salford to do Physics :smile: they want 320 points for the Masters course, with at least a B in maths and physics. And I can decide to do the bachelors later if I don't want to do the last year :smile:

Tbh I probably could've applied for places like Manchester, but they just didnt feel like places I wanted to go, even if I could get taught by Brian Cox aha.

Maths is going well for me, I did both M1 and M2. Tbh I've got nearly full marks in all the core ones, and high Bs in the two mechanics. Means I need a low E to get an A, but I'm gonna aim for an A*, not gonna be disappointed if it doesn't happen though.

Nice :smile: where you looking of going to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SortYourLife
Ah nice! I did ICT, but hated it at a level and dropped it at AS :') I sucked, got an E in the first exam, got a well higher grade when I resat it but that was still a C as the grade boundaries were ridiculously high, did well in the coursework though aha.

Yeah year 13, hopefully going to Salford to do Physics :smile: they want 320 points for the Masters course, with at least a B in maths and physics. And I can decide to do the bachelors later if I don't want to do the last year :smile:

Tbh I probably could've applied for places like Manchester, but they just didnt feel like places I wanted to go, even if I could get taught by Brian Cox aha.

Maths is going well for me, I did both M1 and M2. Tbh I've got nearly full marks in all the core ones, and high Bs in the two mechanics. Means I need a low E to get an A, but I'm gonna aim for an A*, not gonna be disappointed if it doesn't happen though.

Nice :smile: where you looking of going to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Salford? I am going to apply to Manchester and Salford. :smile: How is M2 compared with M1? Because I am thinking of doing M2 next year.
You actually did not do it because you did not wanted to take any risk. You might have thought, what if I lose marks for doing this. right? :biggrin:

Right on the button :smile:
How would one know when to use w=lambdaD/s and when to use dsintheta=nlambda when trying to find wavelengths in a slit diffraction experiment? I'm talking about the six mark prose questions?

Thanks
Salford? I am going to apply to Manchester and Salford. :smile: How is M2 compared with M1? Because I am thinking of doing M2 next year.

Nice ! Aw that'd be good :smile:

M2 is alright, can be a bit hard and you have to take a lot more things into account. I suppose the advantage of doing s1 or d1 is that they're AS exams. But M2 is just carrying on from M1 and there's not a lot else to learn really, just different techniques.

But really, if you're doing well in the core modules and M1, m2 won't really count for a lot, it's not as if it contributes to the A* or anything if you were aiming for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sazzabazza
How would one know when to use w=lambdaD/s and when to use dsintheta=nlambda when trying to find wavelengths in a slit diffraction experiment? I'm talking about the six mark prose questions?

Thanks

the key difference is dsinθ=nλ dsin\theta=n\lambda is when you are dealing with diffraction gratings whereas w=λDs w=\frac{\lambda D}{s} is for when you are dealing with the double slit experiment
Nice ! Aw that'd be good :smile:

M2 is alright, can be a bit hard and you have to take a lot more things into account. I suppose the advantage of doing s1 or d1 is that they're AS exams. But M2 is just carrying on from M1 and there's not a lot else to learn really, just different techniques.

But really, if you're doing well in the core modules and M1, m2 won't really count for a lot, it's not as if it contributes to the A* or anything if you were aiming for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you sooo much! I think I will choose M2 then. And it is another advantage for me with physics further mechanics at A2-level. :smile:
Thank you sooo much! I think I will choose M2 then. And it is another advantage for me with physics further mechanics at A2-level. :smile:

Yeah exactly :smile: I'd stick with M2 tbh :smile: S1 just looks eurgh with all the tables and I always hated that part of maths, and although D1 doesn't really seem like maths, the grade boundaries are always really really high aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exactly :smile: I'd stick with M2 tbh :smile: S1 just looks eurgh with all the tables and I always hated that part of maths, and although D1 doesn't really seem like maths, the grade boundaries are always really really high aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

All my friends are planning to take D1 next year just because it is a lot easier. They also need to think about the grade boundary HAHA:smile: Thanks again! I will be doing a lot of mechanics at the university anyway for the course. :smile: So, what are you revising right now?:biggrin:
Does anybody know the conversions of 1mm^2 and 1cm^2 to 1m^2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which college do you go to? I go to parrs wood. :smile:
Which college do you go to? I go to parrs wood. :smile:

Apart from one person I know, everyone hates doing D1.... Aha :')

Just revising unit 2 atm with all my other exams being dead far away, although i am doing C4 right now aha :smile:

And sounds like a plan then !

And ah I went bowling there once :tongue: Urmston Grammar :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IWantSomeMushu
Does anybody know the conversions of 1mm^2 and 1cm^2 to 1m^2?

1 mm2 = 1/1000000 m2
1 mm = 1/1000 m
(1/1000)^2 = 1 x 1
1000 x 1000
Apart from one person I know, everyone hates doing D1.... Aha :')

Just revising unit 2 atm with all my other exams being dead far away, although i am doing C4 right now aha :smile:

And sounds like a plan then !

And ah I went bowling there once :tongue: Urmston Grammar :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bowling? Wow cool! I am just next to that but never been to bowling. HAHA:smile:
Bowling? Wow cool! I am just next to that but never been to bowling. HAHA:smile:

Yeah aha, we had some vouchers for it or something :') this was a few years ago aha, I know they had a deal where you could play a third came for 1p aha :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah aha, we had some vouchers for it or something :') this was a few years ago aha, I know they had a deal where you could play a third came for 1p aha :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great! :smile: So, have you been to Trafford centre? (Random question haha). :smile:
Great! :smile: So, have you been to Trafford centre? (Random question haha). :smile:

I literally live round the corner from there! (Well like a 20 minute walk, my nanas lives about a 2 minute walk away aha)

But yeah I'm there a lot aha :') you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending