Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    3.02%
    21-40
    5.53%
    41-50
    14.57%
    51-60
    39.70%
    61-70
    37.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookaky)
    First one 3-4 marks depends what you said I'm sure you wrote about it in a lot more sophisticated and detailed manner. Second bit 2 marks fine
    well i messed up on the 6 marker, completely bottled it and didnt know what the graph would look like, i think i said it would curve up then curve down lol. but i definately stated newtons first and second laws correctly and said that the gradient of a velocity time graph gives acceleration.

you still think it would be 3 marks even though i said so much wrong?

ReputationRep:
    68 / 70
    one quick look on the ums conversion page tells me that you're wrong

most likely around 60 for 120ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steroidsman123)
    Yes the photon energy decreases, but light intensity is the number of photons arriving at a point per second. Remember the photoelectric effect? Increasing the intensity increases the number of photon emitted per second as more photons are arriving per second. The energy of the photon just dictates the kinetic energy of the photos. Thus, the same number of photons of red and blue light arrive per second regardless of their energies. Thus the intensities are equal regardless.
    What about subsidiary maxima then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JasmineMistry)
    So people stressing over makes, what do you guys want to do at uni?
    Dentistry

ReputationRep:
    What would this answer get out of 6?

Velocity increases but levels off to a constant speed.
    Acceleration is highest at the start but reaches 0 when the velocity levels off

At the start the weight of the ball is more than the drag so by the 1st law, there is a change in velocity because there is an overall resultant force.
    By the second law, a = f/m, and since there is a resultant force, there is acceleration.

At the end, the weight of the ball equals the drag, so by the 1st law there is no change in velocity as there is no resultant force.
    By the second lawn, a = f/m, but since F=0, a=0, and there is no acceleration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    Standard of 62 marks.
    Aren't you the "self-teacher", hope you did well.
    Yeah I'm the self-teacher

Lost some marks on the TIR question and number 7 so hopefully the boundary is low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J Dilla)

"The average mark for 120 UMS in the past 3 years (Jan 2010 - Jan 2013) has been 59/70". I am guessing it will be around 60 this year. It was no way anything greating than 62+ and it won't be lower than 57.

ReputationRep:

60 for 120ums is highly unlikely. Perhaps my judgement is a little off but I do strongly believe it will be quite high for this paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NabRoh)
    Ohh mee. ChemEng though? what about you?
    Aeronautical, but with my grades I'd probably go into Mechanical:P

ReputationRep:
    What was the number of blocks for the work done (graph) question you guys got? I estimated around 40 blocks under the curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    What do you guys think the 120ums boundary will be?
    Basing this upon previous boundaries, I'd say that 120 UMS will likely be 61 as it wasn't as easy Jan 2011/13, but it came fairly close, and it was no where near as difficult as June 2010.

ReputationRep:
    60 for 120ums is highly unlikely. Perhaps my judgement is a little off but I do strongly believe it will be quite high for this paper
    not going to happen, ums boundaries are done by national averages. The fact you personally may have found it easy proves nothing

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why you didn't just use a combination of squares and triangles to work out the area?? it shouldn't have taken that long.
    (Original post by Zakee)
    I absolutely hate those questions though. It takes no real skill, only toil to actually calculate the area. I probably spent an hour of the paper calculating the area of the squares than I did on the Physics. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    What was the number of blocks for the work done (graph) question you guys got? I estimated around 40 blocks under the curve.
    i got 41

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zakee)
    "The average mark for 120 UMS in the past 3 years (Jan 2010 - Jan 2013) has been 59/70". I am guessing it will be around 60 this year. It was no way anything greating than 62+ and it won't be lower than 57.
    60 is a little generous for full ums

64 I think seems right for this sort of paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny7bell)
    For part a) I did 1/4 lambda and 3/4 lambda, would that be considered correct?
    Unless you wrote \pi somewhere, I don't think so, as you haven't made it clear to the examiner what you mean. Don't worry though, it was only 2 marks and I'm sure you crushed the paper!

ReputationRep:
    i got 41
    Thanks! And what was the area you got for 1 block? I got 0.075 (I think).

ReputationRep:
    Did the first two parts of question 1 catch many people out? I didn't get them until the like 2 minutes before the end lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Thanks! And what was the area you got for 1 block? I got 0.075 (I think).
    i think it was 0.005 x 5 so 0.025 (or something similar)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Yeah I'm the self-teacher

Lost some marks on the TIR question and number 7 so hopefully the boundary is low.
    That's impressive. What made you decide to teach it yourself? I'm self teaching AS chemistry, due to making a wrong decision, choosing Econ over it :/ I'd say Physics would be harder to teach yourself though, much of Chemistry, especially Unit 2 is memorization.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.