Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    3.02%
    21-40
    5.53%
    41-50
    14.57%
    51-60
    39.70%
    61-70
    37.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Did the first two parts of question 1 catch many people out? I didn't get them until the like 2 minutes before the end lol.
    Well. I spent first 10 mins understanding that question but I got it correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J Dilla)
    not going to happen, ums boundaries are done by national averages. The fact you personally may have found it easy proves nothing
    I myself found it quite difficult but you do have to compare this paper to the previous past papers and I have to say that this was easier than jan 2013 however will we have to wait and see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookaky)
    60 is a little generous for full ums

64 I think seems right for this sort of paper
    I think Physics UMS is generous. But this isn't the easiest paper of the spec really, is it? And the highest it's been before is 62/70 for 120 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    I answered the last question about what would happen if the laser was replaced with white light correct, thought about it for 5 minutes, crossed it out and proceeded to write that there will be no pattern as white light is not coherent or monochromatic.

bye bye 3 marks.

ReputationRep:
    Did the first two parts of question 1 catch many people out? I didn't get them until the like 2 minutes before the end lol.
    Yeah they had me stumped for ages. I started thinking resolving, but then I remembered it wasn't M1 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i think it was 0.005 x 5 so 0.025 (or something similar)
    The x-axis were like 0...0.01....0.02....0.03 So, the mid of 0.02 and 0.03 is 0.025. How did you get 0.005? And the y-axis was indeed 5.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

I've got a questions about the transverse wave one.
    regarding the question about particle B motion, I've seen some different answers. Just to clarify, how is this answer. I put something along the lines of...

Particle B vibrates perpendicular to direction of wave travel. In the first half of the cycle, B moves up, and in the second half, participle B moves downwards.

Is this correct? Thanks in advance,
    Tom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    The x-axis were like 0...0.01....0.02....0.03 So, the mid of 0.02 and 0.03 is 0.025. How did you get 0.005? And the y-axis was indeed 5.
    midway between 0.03 and 0.02 is indeed 0.025, which is 0.005 greater than 0.02

ReputationRep:
    Quite liked that paper

Looks like I got the work done one wrong by a factor of 10, I got 10.5 so wrote 11J ....

Thought the 6 marker was a bit weird but fairly easy

Bit gutted no moments came up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dada55)
    I answered the last question about what would happen if the laser was replaced with white light correct, thought about it for 5 minutes, crossed it out and proceeded to write that there will be no pattern as white light is not coherent or monochromatic.

bye bye 3 marks.
    Always go with your gut instinct !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SortYourLife)
    Quite liked that paper

Looks like I got the work done one wrong by a factor of 10, I got 10.5 so wrote 11J ....

Thought the 6 marker was a bit weird but fairly easy

Bit gutted no moments came up

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Moments are lovely juicy questions I relish the opportunity and take it when a juicy 8 marker comes up on moments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JasmineMistry)
    Anyone want to do engineering?
    medicine here, already have my offer, resat this exam today, thought it was alright, hoping for atleast 110.

ReputationRep:
    midway between 0.03 and 0.02 is indeed 0.025, which is 0.005 greater than 0.02
    0.005 is not grater than 0.02 is it? :confused: 0.005 is actually the difference between 0.02 and 0.025.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nich01as)
    That's impressive. What made you decide to teach it yourself? I'm self teaching AS chemistry, due to making a wrong decision, choosing Econ over it :/ I'd say Physics would be harder to teach yourself though, much of Chemistry, especially Unit 2 is memorization.
    Well I've done A-levels before but I want to do a Physics degree and so needed to do new ones and a college would have charged too much. I actually found Chem a lot tougher than Physics and am going to drop it anyway. Unit 2 was a bloodbath for me yesterday

Well. I spent first 10 mins understanding that question but I got it correct.
    I kept doing 7200-1200 for the horizontal movement and was thinking wtf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookaky)
    I myself found it quite difficult but you do have to compare this paper to the previous past papers and I have to say that this was easier than jan 2013 however will we have to wait and see
    i think unit 2 physics is an exception...

i got 112 on unit 1 which i think is 66/70 - that mark would give 120 on any unit 2 paper which is strange as i don't think unit 2 is much harder than unit 1 but grade boundaries are always a lot lower

ReputationRep:
    What I did wrong:
    4c) - I counted the blocks under the graph, but I did 0.5 x Force x extension for the WD of each block. I should have just got the area, not halved it... Maybe 1 mark for counting the blocks under the graph at least. I hate myself for that mistake T_T

4d) - I thought it was it was asking to show the line as the material stretches and breaks, so that was totally off...

6a) - 2nd phase differance, I said 3/4 pi instead of 3/2 pi :l

Not sure?
    7b) - I did the red light with larger fringes than blue, but the same intensity. (is this correct?)

Just looked at the grade boundaries for an A for the last 9 PHYA2 exams, and it has never been higher than 50/70.

Was feeling quite bad about that exam but seeing the grade boundary I am feeling a bit more confident.

Next up phya4

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get for the spring constant

ReputationRep:
    Well I've done A-levels before but I want to do a Physics degree and so needed to do new ones and a college would have charged too much. I actually found Chem a lot tougher than Physics and am going to drop it anyway. Unit 2 was a bloodbath for me yesterday

I kept doing 7200-1200 for the horizontal movement and was thinking wtf?
    Exactly!! Then later on, after 8 mins, I realised you have to consider both vertical and horizontal motion.

ReputationRep:
    0.005 is not grater than 0.02 is it? :confused: 0.005 is actually the difference between 0.02 and 0.025.?
    yes exactly!! there were two squares between 0.02 and 0.03 so each square represents an increase of 0.005

ReputationRep:
    Overall decent paper, it could have been worse. Jan 13 were a lot harder imo.

Hoping for a 65/70.

For the single slit graph, did anyone else increase the width of the central fringe and sort of increase fringe spacing? (Keeping intensity the same)

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.