Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

The Physics PHYA2 thread! 5th June 2013 Watch

• View Poll Results: What mark do you think you got out of 70?
    0-20
    3.02%
    21-40
    5.53%
    41-50
    14.57%
    51-60
    39.70%
    61-70
    37.19%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldn)
    Unofficial mark scheme yet?
    Yeah! Examiners have them. Only joking. It has not released yet.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering why the boundaries are so low for this unit. Surely most people doing Physics will also be doing Maths with mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    For the 6 marker, is water resistance an an accepted term for A level standard? Never liked the word drag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    Found the waves bit easy, but then the mechanics was something else....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. First question (mechanics) was a tricky question. In fact, most questions in this paper were tricky. So, what do you think you got in this paper (roughly)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    For the 6 marker, is water resistance an an accepted term for A level standard? Never liked the word drag.
    I just use 'resistive force'

It should be ok, it was oil though

ReputationRep:
    Just quickly, can anyone actually confirm what they got for the efficiency question? I seem to recall hearing various answers from people after the exam but not once did I hear what I was hoping for.

Also, if anyone is curious as to what the grade boundaries have been for the papers since June 2009, I'll be attaching a document that was rather nicely posted a bit eariler on this thread. Sorry creator of the Excel document, I hope I haven't violated any copyright laws!

Having them in a table just seems so much easier than using AQA's website to look for each year individually.. Ugh!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls PHYA2 Grade Boundaries.xls (13.0 KB, 157 views)

ReputationRep:
    Not sure. I put viscous drag.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goldn)
    Unofficial mark scheme yet?
    Page 80, about midway. I've tried my best to compile a mark scheme based on what I've heard from others, and of course my own answers, but its a little incomplete so if you have anything to contribute, please feel free to do so!

ReputationRep:
    effiency was 22%
    the first Q answer was like 6082 or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davelittle)
    I just use 'resistive force'

It should be ok, it was oil though

Ahh FML, well that was a stupid mistake. Hoping they won't cap me at 2 marks or something for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FLLF)
    It depends, it was out of 4, so I would say at least 2 and if were being optimistic 3
    Don't forget a mark was for sig figs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebron_23)
    Just quickly, can anyone actually confirm what they got for the efficiency question? I seem to recall hearing various answers from people after the exam but not once did I hear what I was hoping for.

Also, if anyone is curious as to what the grade boundaries have been for the papers since June 2009, I'll be attaching a document that was rather nicely posted a bit eariler on this thread. Sorry creator of the Excel document, I hope I haven't violated any copyright laws!

Having them in a table just seems so much easier than using AQA's website to look for each year individually.. Ugh!
    I got 24.4, no idea if it was right though.
    I used P=Fv to find the "useful" power. Then divided that by the 360kW engine thing that they gave you, then multiplied that by 100.

ReputationRep:
    For the acceleration of the aircraft I did resultant/weight not resultant over mass... I would get 1 out of 2/3 right as that would be the first method step? Damn I even checked it working out the linear accelerations and finding the resultant of them also using the weight! Also I put 180 out of phase because I didn't read it and thought it wanted b to c not a to c. Hopefully I didn't get anything else wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was oil ... You might get it if they are lenient

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh FML, well that was a stupid mistake. Hoping they won't cap me at 2 marks or something for that.
    As long as you state that this causes the acceleration to decrease you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StalkeR47)
    Hi Jimmy! How did you find it? I think it was more difficult paper than normal ones. Grade boundary I recon will be around 44-46 for an A. I think I got 57/70 in that one. Not happy with myself I made stupid mistakes and I needed full ums. But I think I got 65 in unit 1.
    Why do you "need" full ums? What is it that you need it for?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say viscosity as its oil, can't really say water resistance i think, I just said reaction force from oil (viscosity)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bookaky)
    As long as you state that this causes the acceleration to decrease you should be fine
    Yeah I put that, hopefully you're right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny7bell)
    I used P=Fv to find the "useful" power. Then divided that by the 360kW engine thing that they gave you, then multiplied that by 100.
    22.4 or something like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny7bell)
    I can't remember them giving us the velocity of the aircraft, or am I just being stupid? I used Fs\cos \theta to work out the work done and then figured out the power. I have no idea what I did on that question.. :rolleyes:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.