Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm studying English at Uni and I've just recieved an essay question on Pride and Prejudice. I've got to write 2000 words on the 2005 Joe Wright film adaptation with Keira Knightly and assess how it can be considered a 'romantic comedy' and a 'heritage film'. I can understand aspects of the 'heritage' section e.g. the stately homes and period dress, but how can it be interpretted as a rom com!? If anyone has any ideas, they will be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well if you imagine it as a modern story... Imagine a kinda crazy, over the top ms Bennet, who's main purpose in life is to marry off her 5 daughters to rich men. Then imagine her excitement when Mr Darcy moves in with a rich friend. The movie has various twists and turns that create comedy. Especially the facial expressions and actions that have comedic timing.

The fact that Ms Bennet tries to marry off her daughters so quickly creates hilarious relationships, and shows how people handle them. For example, in the first chapter mr Bennet says' Is that his design of settling here, (which I'm pretty sure is in the movie). This shows that he feels sorry for the new men, as he knows his wife is coming for them. (so he's basically taunting her)

Apparently, there's two types of humour.... The subtle- between Darcy and Elizabeth and 'slapstick' from mrs Bennet who.... Is always kind of overexcited.

Austen is also mocking certain situations that she doesn't believe in like People who are too full of themselves .

Other quotes include miss bIngley trying to engage mr Darcy in conversation ( ooo mr darcy your handwriting is so neat...)

Austin is basically showing The problems of 18th century society by poking fun at it. For example, if a families father dies (and there were no sons) they were left with nothing. Which was ms Bennets worry - and the main reason she was trying to marry of her children.

Im not even sure of this makes sense haha! Hope it helps !

ReputationRep:
    This makes perfect sense to me I've had to read the book and watch the film that many times, I think it's left a permanent imprint on my brain :P
    Thank you!! This is great, it can be so confusing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fromyesterday-x)
    This makes perfect sense to me I've had to read the book and watch the film that many times, I think it's left a permanent imprint on my brain :P
    Thank you!! This is great, it can be so confusing!
    Haha you welcome! I'm glad it actually made sense! Yeah it can be, I think after reading it a couple of times, you get to see the comedy in it- it just takes ages to try and understand exactly what's happening. Let me know if you need and help, and good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.