Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

Thanks for your help.

Connection end. iWant2know

ReputationRep:
    I find it hard to agree with this statement. It is right on the one hand, yet wrong on another.
    Immigrants are losers because they have failed in the country they have been born in and so must find another country to live in and hopefully make a life for themselves, yet there is always that old saying 'once a loser, always a loser'.
    Once in a new country they are giving the chance to start a new business and build a life for them and their family, yet the take the easy road. They see the benefits a that are available and decide that that is what they will do, they steal from the state. Not content with the already ample money they receive in benefits, most decide to cheat the benefit system, receiving more money in a month than some hard working British family could hope to get in a year.
    So you see while they are losers, they are losers who are making money, that is why the statement is somewhat incorrect.
    When I walk the streets of my home town, people come up to me and ask 'was it always tis' and I tell them of the glory of Empire and the hope that somewhere a man will rise and lead this country back to greatness once more, as I now firmly believe only a Dictatorship will restore order to this land.

ReputationRep:
    If you get out a poverty and war stricken country you're hardly a loser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glory&Honour)
    I find it hard to agree with this statement. It is right on the one hand, yet wrong on another.
    Immigrants are losers because they have failed in the country they have been born in and so must find another country to live in and hopefully make a life for themselves, yet there is always that old saying 'once a loser, always a loser'.
    Once in a new country they are giving the chance to start a new business and build a life for them and their family, yet the take the easy road. They see the benefits a that are available and decide that that is what they will do, they steal from the state. Not content with the already ample money they receive in benefits, most decide to cheat the benefit system, receiving more money in a month than some hard working British family could hope to get in a year.
    So you see while they are losers, they are losers who are making money, that is why the statement is somewhat incorrect.
    When I walk the streets of my home town, people come up to me and ask 'was it always tis' and I tell them of the glory of Empire and the hope that somewhere a man will rise and lead this country back to greatness once more, as I now firmly believe only a Dictatorship will restore order to this land.
    lol

The simple ignorance of people in this country regarding immigration is astounding.

Let's look at facts, rather than mindless assertions and repugnant lies. A Polish immigrant, on average, contributes around three times economically to this country as they take back. Further, an immigrant is half as likely to claim benefits as an average 'Briton'.

Immigrants very often come from poverty. They come to this country to find a better life. Yes, some do often find a better life here, but not without working incredibly hard, living in slum conditions and sacrificing much to get there. I'm sure people on here will find erroneous exceptions to this basic tenet, but the fundamental truth of it remains. Immigrants are some of the most marginalised people in our society, and have to overcome much in order to gain anything at all from our country.

So, in order for an immigrant to become a 'winner', they, in the vast majority of cases, must live lives as a 'loser' for a very long time; much longer than their average British counterpart.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.