Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephan88)
    Is anyone doing Film Music (The hours - Philip Glass, Robin Hood - Erich Korngold, and Vertigo - Bernard Herrmann)?
    I am, along with Snow White, Spartacus and Batman for comparison. Love the revision; the Glass in particular is so awesome aha!

For the vox music, I've gone through a whole list of songs and stuff, but in particular I'm revising:

- Opera: Peter Grimes: Act III, Scene II. B. Britten
    - Song Setting in English: West London. C. Ives; the Rhapsody from Dies Natalis. G. Finzi; Songs of Sunset: Pale Amber Sunlight, F. Delius; Bredon Hill, G. Butterworth
    - Secular Choral Work: Carmina Burina. C. Orff
    - Sacred Choral Work: the Kyrie from Mass in g minor. R. VW
    - Oratorio: A Child of Our Time. M. Tippett
    - Song Setting in a Foreign Language: the Mondestruken from Pierrot Lunaire. A. Schoenberg.

Yeah, it's a lot. But as I revise them, I essentially do what I will be doing in the exam - exploring harmony, tonality, rhythm etc. It helps, imo, anyway, aha

(It kinda seems I like Songs in English, but hey, what can I say? It is my first language, after all! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Oboist.)
    Firstly you've put singular essay - you know we do two right? :P
    Two from a choice of three..

As for advice I can think of few things:

My teacher always says: "if you're not talking about the music, you're not getting the marks" which is pretty good advice..

Next tip would be be concise and be as specific as possible: Mention a chord - what chord? Mention a key change - what key? That's for tonality questions obviously but you get the idea...

Next, use specific film terminology (diegetic, hit points etc...) - it's quicker than trying to explain what they mean looks more impressive.

And finally, just be strict with yourself with timings - I set myself 30 minutes for each essay and that seems to be enough..

Hope any of that helps
    Let me know if you need anymore!
    Sorry it's so long... !!
    Hi yes that did help and yes my mistake I know it two essays, my biggest struggle is timing! I just hope I do better than last year on my AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Oboist.)
    Firstly you've put singular essay - you know we do two right? :P
    Two from a choice of three..

As for advice I can think of few things:

My teacher always says: "if you're not talking about the music, you're not getting the marks" which is pretty good advice..

Next tip would be be concise and be as specific as possible: Mention a chord - what chord? Mention a key change - what key? That's for tonality questions obviously but you get the idea...

Next, use specific film terminology (diegetic, hit points etc...) - it's quicker than trying to explain what they mean looks more impressive.

And finally, just be strict with yourself with timings - I set myself 30 minutes for each essay and that seems to be enough..

Hope any of that helps
    Let me know if you need anymore!
    Sorry it's so long... !!
    Cheers! yeah i think im all good on Vertigo and Robin Hood, but there seems to be so little to talk about in the hours so im doing loads of notes on that!
    What composers have you chosen for you related repertoire (like composers from the same period of the three set composers)..

I chose Max Steiner for Korngold, maybe Franz Waxman for Herrmann and im not sure who to compare for Glass! Any advice? Sorry for the long reply...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatMusicStudent)
    I am, along with Snow White, Spartacus and Batman for comparison. Love the revision; the Glass in particular is so awesome aha!

For the vox music, I've gone through a whole list of songs and stuff, but in particular I'm revising:

- Opera: Peter Grimes: Act III, Scene II. B. Britten
    - Song Setting in English: West London. C. Ives; the Rhapsody from Dies Natalis. G. Finzi; Songs of Sunset: Pale Amber Sunlight, F. Delius; Bredon Hill, G. Butterworth
    - Secular Choral Work: Carmina Burina. C. Orff
    - Sacred Choral Work: the Kyrie from Mass in g minor. R. VW
    - Oratorio: A Child of Our Time. M. Tippett
    - Song Setting in a Foreign Language: the Mondestruken from Pierrot Lunaire. A. Schoenberg.

Yeah, it's a lot. But as I revise them, I essentially do what I will be doing in the exam - exploring harmony, tonality, rhythm etc. It helps, imo, anyway, aha

(It kinda seems I like Songs in English, but hey, what can I say? It is my first language, after all! )
    Nice! Im comparing King Kong, some of Franz waxmans works and am considering Batman! I find Glass's music really hard to analyse, tips? oh and im revising Belshazzar's Feast by William Walton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace_amelia)
    It might be useful to do a choral accompanied and a choral unaccompanied..

Our teacher has made sure that we've done:
    1) choral accompanied
    2) choral unaccompanied
    3) large scale dramatic work
    4) solo within a work
    5) accompanied work (piano)
    6) accompanied work (orchestra)
    7) Italian work
    Sounds like you've got this sorted

I agree about doing a choral accompanied and unaccompanied - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! yeah i think im all good on Vertigo and Robin Hood, but there seems to be so little to talk about in the hours so im doing loads of notes on that!
    What composers have you chosen for you related repertoire (like composers from the same period of the three set composers)..

I chose Max Steiner for Korngold, maybe Franz Waxman for Herrmann and im not sure who to compare for Glass! Any advice? Sorry for the long reply...
    Korngold, Waxman and Steiner were the triumvirate from their era - I've got Steiner's King Kong (1993) and Waxman's Bride of Frankenstein for comparison with Robin Hood which all work really well together.

For Herrmann I've got another of his scores for Psycho and also Jerry Goldsmith's atonal Planet of the Apes which came out in the same year as Vertigo so again is a good comparison.

For The Hours we've studied an unheard of film called The Red Violin with score by John Corigliano but we've also looked at John Williams' Jaws and ET. These last two can also be used for Korngold (depending on the wording of the question) as Williams kicked off the revival of the Symphonic Film Score.

For The Hours I've looked especially at harmony and tonality, and timbre and texture - there's not much on melody you can say but his minimalism makes for interesting points on the above areas of study.

Hope that helps!
    Sorry for the even longer reply... !! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giorgina)
    Hi yes that did help and yes my mistake I know it two essays, my biggest struggle is timing! I just hope I do better than last year on my AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope you do too! Good luck with the rest of your revision and the exam

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Im comparing King Kong, some of Franz waxmans works and am considering Batman! I find Glass's music really hard to analyse, tips? oh and im revising Belshazzar's Feast by William Walton.
    I think with Glass he's really about the manipulation of harmony and rhythm. In this, there's a psychological intensity that drives the film along, which is thematic to the film itself. And often, the music doesn't only accompany the film - it often implies something the onscreen does not. Foreshadowing, if you will.

Check out some of Glass' other stuff, it's pretty awesome. Heroes is pretty cool, and the string quartet 'Company' 's my fav. Gotta love some C20 music, aha!

Comparing it to Batman's great, you've got opportunity to explore the development of film music, along with development of 'classical'/traditional music itself as well. Like, what with rhythms/tech/harmony and all that.

ReputationRep:
    How did you all find it?

Thought it was quite a fair paper, and for me the section B essays (music for the stage) were nice!

ReputationRep:
    That wasn't too bad, aha :P
    Only thing was I didn't learn a film post 21st century, bar THe Hours. So I couldn't do that question. Oh well!
    I did predict that a song in a foreign language setting would come up. Seems the Schoenberg revision actually payed off!
    So glad that's over, and now to the SUMMER WOOOO!

(Totally didn't copy and paste this from the other forum! )

ReputationRep:
    I thought section a was awful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What was the piece for section A? And what were the essays for music for the stage anyone?

I tutored a student for this exam but haven't seen the paper yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by florencebunny)
    What was the piece for section A? And what were the essays for music for the stage anyone?

I tutored a student for this exam but haven't seen the paper yet!
    Section A was 3 poems by rilke(I think) by Heindemith? Or something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing the film music section as well

For section A, people tend to overcomplicate it a lot. If you just put down what you see, then it gets you more marks than you think. In at least 3 past papers I've seen, you can literally get a mark for saying "It is a simple melody". Just make sure you know your chords for Harmony and tonality. For Vocal melody questions, saying whether it's syllabic or melismatic gets you a mark, as well if it has a certain shape (arc?).

As the comparison question is fairly open, you just need to know one or two pieces really well, as you can say how they are similar or different.

For Section B, know at most 3 scenes per film, when it was made, and the chords used in each scene.

Hope this helps!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.