Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have recently come to terms with the fact that i am not superwoman - at all. I have been a doormat for both my family and friends and have been highly disrespected. After recently turning 20 I told myself this would be the decade I make some real changes. To my friendship groups, family relationships, persona and money management.

When I get paid I use 3/4 of my money to help out my family although I have an older brother who is working (full time - graduate job) and doesn't help out. Never even bought a bottle of water. My sister is a complete cow and my mum can be so rude, brash and ungrateful. I know I am being taken for granted.

9.5/10 of my friends take me for granted, never reach out and treat me like a doormat. This isn't a pity thread but I just need some advice for the new steps in my life and moving forward.

ReputationRep:
    You want us to be accountable for your change or lack thereof? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    You're not selfish, it's what any person would do. I think you should just stop giving out money, except if a family member is really in need. Maybe try setting some limits? You work hard for that money and deserve to have a say in how it's spent.

ReputationRep:
    Move out. It's what I did. It made my family learn to do things themselves, and I got my freedom and independence.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.