The Student Room Group

How many funerals have you been to?

How many funerals have you been to?

I was just on Thought Catalogue, browsing through the archives when I read this article: http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/im-at-a-funeral/

It gave me a little insight to the opposite side of the spectrum.

Actually, I've only been to five, but at each we were burying someone extremely significant. First was when I was 7, last one was a little over 3 years ago.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I remember 2 funerals that I've been a part of. Why?
Reply 2
None
Reply 3
Zero. I've waited in the car several times whilst my parents went to a few.
Reply 4
quite a few - I used to sing in a church choir - only three of people who I knew well (my grandad, my gran's sister and my best friends brother)
Reply 5
What a strange topic.

I don't know how many I've been to, I went to 5 last year though, various friends and family members.

I hate having to go to them though they are just so sad. I know it's meant to be a celebration of the persons life but they are always so difficult.
I've been to one. I think some happened when I was younger that my parents didn't want me to have to go to.
Reply 7
I remember my grandad's one really well - I cried so much :frown:
I think I've been to one other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Katy200
What a strange topic.

I don't know how many I've been to, I went to 5 last year though, various friends and family members.

I hate having to go to them though they are just so sad. I know it's meant to be a celebration of the persons life but they are always so difficult.

Celebrate?! Really? I thought it was to mourn and pay respects. Even weirder now.
Reply 9
Eight, I think. Two grandparents, two great-aunts, my mum's godfather, my friend's dad, two teachers. I find them very sad, but I don't mind going to them.

I only saw one of them (my grandma) in an open coffin, and that was before the funeral, at the undertakers'. I've never been to an "open casket" funeral.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
I have been to four. I don't know about other religions, but in our faith, you can choose to the see body in the coffin on the day of the funeral. Also, the night before, close family can go and bathe the body.
Reply 11
None, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing a dead body :\
2. The first was my maternal Grandad when I was 5, the second my paternal Grandad when I was 10.
Reply 13
I've just been to the one.

I'd rather not go to them to be honest, I don't grieve like that, and to be honest the whole atmosphere seemed so alien to me. But I'll go to them for the sake of respect.
Reply 14
I've only been to my mums funeral. I think it would be easier to handle if it were someone I didn't know very well. I think a couple of relatives passed when I was very young but my parents didn't really want me to attend due to my age.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I have been to three.
Reply 16
Never been to one and hopefully won't need to for a long time!
None, my grandma died when I was 12 so I think my parents didn't really think it was appropriate for me to go/miss a day of school etc...and my grandad died when I was 16 but I wasn't particularly close to him and was doing my a GCSE exam on the day so didn't go.
Reply 18
Original post by aarora
None, I'm not sure how I'd react to seeing a dead body :\

I've never been to an open coffin funeral, but that's an interesting point. I wonder how many people have actually seen a dead body, and how they reacted.

I've only ever seen the dead body of my mum, which was surreal and I don't remember much about it.

My boyfriends mum once found a dead body washed up on the beach, which I can imagine being much more traumatising.
I've been to four.

My Grandma's, 2 of my friends and my friends Mum's.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending