Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How many funerals have you been to? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have never been to one. A few of of my relatives have died, but my family didn't want me to go.

ReputationRep:
    Probably like 20+, as a muslim it's pretty common to attend anybody's funeral. The services held are really simple not many formalities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeFaye)
    I've never been to an open coffin funeral, but that's an interesting point. I wonder how many people have actually seen a dead body, and how they reacted.

I've only ever seen the dead body of my mum, which was surreal and I don't remember much about it.

My boyfriends mum once found a dead body washed up on the beach, which I can imagine being much more traumatising.
    I've been to two open coffin funerals and, honestly, it's not as horrible as some people imagine. The strange part is that death changes the way a person looks. I didn't recognize my grandparents, they looked like strangers to me.

ReputationRep:
    1, my own.

ReputationRep:
    One. Best friend. Never want to go to another again. Forever traumatised.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to 7.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    None. Parents didn't think it was appropriate. I didn't know my dad's stepdad that well either.

ReputationRep:
    I love a good funeral.

ReputationRep:
    5: both of my grandfathers, my aunt, my cousin and my friend.

ReputationRep:
    2 - my grandmother's and my unofficial godmother's.

I didn't really understand either of them. I don't know what's wrong with me that makes me immune to feeling sad at funerals.

ReputationRep:
    2. One for a family member, and one for a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I used to live near a cemetery as a child so I've BEEN in quite a few, but never attended one personally.

Been to countless weddings and circumcision ceremonies though (they're both supposed to be happy occasions weirdly).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I used to live near a cemetery as a child so I've BEEN in quite a few, but never attended one personally.

Been to countless weddings and circumcision ceremonies though (they're both supposed to be happy occasions weirdly).
    Never been to a wedding but sister is getting married soon, so will be a first.

To awnser the question in hand, ive been to 5 funerals. Luckily only one family funeral. The others were friends.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to one funeral, and that was my grandma's funeral.

Before she was buried, I saw her body. My parents were putting their hands on her face, but I was too scared to do so (I was 10 I think).

ReputationRep:
    3 - my granddad, my nan, and my mum's.

I saw each of them before the funerals too, and I was with my mum when she died. I was very unsure about seeing her the day before her funeral, but I think I would have regretted it if I hadn't. Very very surreal, as has been said, but I was worried that would always be how I remember her - and it's really, really not, I remember her as she really was, not like that.

ReputationRep:
    Never been to any hopefully it stays that way.

ReputationRep:
    Loads! I'm Irish, funerals are like social gatherings. It's really nice to see a lot of people turn out to say goodbye and pay their respects to the person who has passed away.

ReputationRep:
    Just one, last summer. It was my Great Grandpa's funeral and I cried the whole time

ReputationRep:
    I was going to go to my own funeral but I arrived too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liv1204)
    3 - my granddad, my nan, and my mum's.

I saw each of them before the funerals too, and I was with my mum when she died. I was very unsure about seeing her the day before her funeral, but I think I would have regretted it if I hadn't. Very very surreal, as has been said, but I was worried that would always be how I remember her - and it's really, really not, I remember her as she really was, not like that.
    I don't know how I would cope if any of my parents died. I feel like it would completely break me, it'd be the only thing I would think about constantly.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.