Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please name this alcohol for me and explain the how you figured it out?
    (C2H5)3COH
    The book calls it 3-ethylpentan-3-ol but I have no idea how they got that
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    you find the longest carbon chain so draw it out

you get a C in the middle with four branches three with C2H5 and one with 0H

ReputationRep:
    draw it out first with all the bonds
    then ill explain it

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I think it is 3-ethylpentan-3-ol

If you draw out the molecule and follow the rules of naming (longest chain etc.) you get the answer
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by EL77)
    Can someone please name this alcohol for me and explain the how you figured it out?
    (C2H5)3COH
    Thanks
    The book actually is not quite correct, the 3- is redundant.

Step 1: Identify the longest unbroken chain.

C-C-C-C-C

There are 5 carbon atoms so it's based on the root 'pent'

C-C-C(C2H5)-C-C

There is a branch with 2 carbons (ethyl) on carbon number 3, however it can't go anywhere else without lengthening the chain, so it's position does not need a locant.

Finally there is a hydroxy group on carbon number 3. This takes priority as it is the only functional group, so the molecule becomes a pentan-3-ol.

ethylpentan-3-ol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by EL77)
    (C2H5)3COH
    Thanks
    There is a carbon with 3 ethyl groups and 1 hydroxyl group. When we draw out the full structural formula, you realise that there is a straight carbon chain that is five carbons long - hence the 'pentan.' There is a hydroxyl group on the third carbon on the chain, hence '-3-ol.' There is an ethyl group on this same carbon, hence '3-ethyl.' Therefore the name is 3-ethylpentan-3-ol.

ReputationRep:
    thank you everyone, i understand it now!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.