The Student Room Group

Structural Isomers

can someone please explain why 1-methylpropan-1-ol is not a structural isomer of c4h10O even though 2-methylpropan-1-ol is? thanks :smile:
Original post by EL77
can someone please explain why 1-methylpropan-1-ol is not a structural isomer of c4h10O even though 2-methylpropan-1-ol is? thanks :smile:

If you put a methyl group on carbon number 1 it lengthens the propane chain to butane ...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
If you put a methyl group on carbon number 1 it lengthens the propane chain to butane ...

so you can't put an alkyl group on the first carbon in a chain?
Original post by EL77
so you can't put an alkyl group on the first carbon in a chain?

Clearly not. The chain simply becomes longer ...
Reply 4
Original post by charco
Clearly not. The chain simply becomes longer ...

Okay, this isn't however 'clear' so there is no need to be rude.
Original post by EL77
Okay, this isn't however 'clear' so there is no need to be rude.

It was not my intention.

I merely meant to say that if you add one more link onto the end of a chain the chain gets longer by one link ...
They are structural isomers though.. same structural formula but different arrangement in space. Both have 4 carbons, 10 hydrogens and 1 oxygen.
I have a quick question. When they ask for structual isomers does it have to be display formulae or can it also be skeletal?
Original post by wrestlingfan55
I have a quick question. When they ask for structual isomers does it have to be display formulae or can it also be skeletal?

You can draw both unless they specify otherwise. You can check the mark schemes if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest