Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    can someone please explain why 1-methylpropan-1-ol is not a structural isomer of c4h10O even though 2-methylpropan-1-ol is? thanks
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL77)
    can someone please explain why 1-methylpropan-1-ol is not a structural isomer of c4h10O even though 2-methylpropan-1-ol is? thanks
    If you put a methyl group on carbon number 1 it lengthens the propane chain to butane ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    If you put a methyl group on carbon number 1 it lengthens the propane chain to butane ...
    so you can't put an alkyl group on the first carbon in a chain?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL77)
    so you can't put an alkyl group on the first carbon in a chain?
    Clearly not. The chain simply becomes longer ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Clearly not. The chain simply becomes longer ...
    Okay, this isn't however 'clear' so there is no need to be rude.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL77)
    Okay, this isn't however 'clear' so there is no need to be rude.
    It was not my intention.

I merely meant to say that if you add one more link onto the end of a chain the chain gets longer by one link ...

ReputationRep:
    They are structural isomers though.. same structural formula but different arrangement in space. Both have 4 carbons, 10 hydrogens and 1 oxygen.

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question. When they ask for structual isomers does it have to be display formulae or can it also be skeletal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrestlingfan55)
    I have a quick question. When they ask for structual isomers does it have to be display formulae or can it also be skeletal?
    You can draw both unless they specify otherwise. You can check the mark schemes if you want.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.