The Student Room Group

Meeting new people in London

Scroll to see replies

Hiya,

I'm born and raised in London and i can relate to what most of you have stated.

The problem is, London is such a vast city, everyone is too busy in their own world. I too find it an unfriendly city at times...not the easiest place to make friends, for sure.

Even though i do have my own set of friends, i'm always open and interested in meeting new/different people, so if anyone is interested in meeting up, i'm definitely interested.
I sympathise with the OP, I feel the same sometimes! I have a social job but it's worse if you have to work unsocial hours and weekends. Sometimes I get home from work and just feel like a hermit being in my room, my flatmates are friendly but they're foreign and I always have trouble making conversation with them. My last flatshare was great, this one not so much. I live in Isle of Dogs also, bit weird a lot of others do as well since I've found it's mainly finance people living here!
Original post by playingcards
I think that’s right. The way to get over that weirdness is just throw open an arbitrary event.

For example, say: “I am getting relatively lonely in London and would like to meet new people. Anyone who feels the same, meet outside the Natural History Museum at midday on xx April and we’ll go and look at dinosaurs. I will wear a fluffy pink hat so you recognise me.”
It could be awkward if one person turns up. Similarly if 50 people turn up. But maybe 10 people turn up, and everyone chats and goes to the pub afterwards, and maybe a few friendships are formed. Who knows?!

did you get many people messaging you?
Original post by flatmatesneeded12
did you get many people messaging you?

Yes I think 5 or 6! I'll try to sort something out tomorrow. Sorry it slipped a bit - I've only just back from a busy few days away. =)
Yes I think 5 or 6! I'll try to sort something out tomorrow. Sorry it slipped a bit - I've only just back from a busy few days away. =)

Is this still happening? Haven't PM'd you because I've only just seen this thread but I'm interested :tongue:
Original post by moregano
Is this still happening? Haven't PM'd you because I've only just seen this thread but I'm interested :tongue:

Yes! Right, I shall arrange it now =)
Reply 106
I would like to go with you guys but 'm working that day.. I work usually at weekends :frown: but maybe we can organise second meet up sometime.. one friday or thursday? :smile: let me know how saturday goes and what do you think about second meet up! Have fun on saturday! Xx
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, I went to uni in Bristol but now I find myself working in marketing in London. I've only been here since January though so plenty of things still to discover.

Hey!

I saw your post and had to reply :smile: I went to Bristol Uni too, Im Laura and I have recently just moved to London, im 26! How are you? PM me if you like :smile:
Laura
I could pretty much copy and paste the posters message. I am inexactly the same situation. I am the youngest person at work by 10 years. I am the only one who isnt married.

I would love to meet people who I can hang out with and be normal.
I get what you mean... I only have work colleagues and professional contacts...
Reply 110
On the Isle of Dogs we have wild parrots and the odd Red Kite
So being proactive. Does anyone fancy a picnic in the park today?
Original post by Ladders
On the Isle of Dogs we have wild parrots and the odd Red Kite

Where can they be found?
What I do is go for Friday drinks at work, make friends there but it is hard as it can be costly... Also someone has tried being friends with me at work but is really grumpy, high maintenance more than me, she has fights with her bf who comes over to our pub, is new and everyone talks about her... I've started to get along with placement year students, they're cool and ambitious, also although I'm 23 erm wouldn't call it a career, am at the same level as the students even though I've been doing same job 2yrs with degree. So I just hang around anyone nice
Reply 114
Original post by InnerTemple
Where can they be found?

The trees near and around Millwall park, the bird of prey is a bit less seen, my neighbour has an outdoor aviary and one was trying to get through the mesh lol
Original post by Ladders
The trees near and around Millwall park, the bird of prey is a bit less seen, my neighbour has an outdoor aviary and one was trying to get through the mesh lol

Oh right - I have never been down to that part of the Isle of Dogs.
Reply 116
So being proactive. Does anyone fancy a picnic in the park today?

Yes! The weather is good for it!
Perfect, how about regents park? Its beautiful this time of year. 13:30 ? The english gardens have flowers and fountains. Feel free to pm me.
Reply 118
I empathise a lot with this situation. It seems to be a really common issue for people moving down to London we get lost in the big city, struggle to get content, and feel like part of life is just missing. I certainly feel that I’m drifting through the months and getting a little bit lonely. The fact that it’s just so massive and hectic means you never see the same faces, which makes it particularly hard to make new friends, unless you’re extremely confident and outgoing the very first time you meet someone.
I’ve been battling against this tide for a while now, and it’s not easy.

This sums it up really. Great post.

Hi I'm Reisse , 2nd year student at Westminster Uni studying Computer Games Development.

Would be good to meet new people. :smile:
Where are you usually based? I have to do some shopping first as it's my dad's birthday on Tuesday! But I can meet up later today for definite? :-)

PM Me then :-) Anyone else interested?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending