Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

OCR Biology F212 Revision [3rd June 2013] (Now Closed) Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you feel the F212 exam went?
    Awesome
    9.46%
    Good
    33.78%
    Okay
    35.81%
    Bad
    10.81%
    Rubbish
    5.41%
    Not Sure
    4.73%

ReputationRep:
    Dokiph clorfagesp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    My teacher taught us:
    Do Keep Ponds Clean Or Fish Get Smelly
    It's simple, it's life changing - I'll never forget it :P
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liamnut)
    Isn't agglutination just when one antibody neutralizes more than one antigen?
    Effectively, yes.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher decided not to teach us any of the 'Smoking and Health' section. :bawling:
    There was a 19 mark section in a past paper I just did on it, AHH.
    And they just skimmed through the Immunity section, which is so nit-picky!

ReputationRep:
    Guys how do mosquito's get infected with malaria? Or are they resistant to the parasite(plasmodium)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rival_)
    Guys how do mosquito's get infected with malaria? Or are they resistant to the parasite(plasmodium)?
    This confused me aswell. It's all just a weird cycle.
    Mosquitos get infected by drinking infected blood from a host (human).
    As the mosquitos effectively 'drink' plasmodium, it travels to their gut, where it plunges into the gut wall, divides and bursts through, then migrates to the female Anopheles salivary glands. So when the mosquito drinks from another human, it infects them with Plasmodium via saliva.

This is what I learnt anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty.)
    This confused me aswell. It's all just a weird cycle.
    Mosquitos get infected by taking in infected blood from a host (human).
    As the mosquitos effectively 'drink' plasmodium, it travels to their gut, where it plunged into the gut wall, divides and bursts through, then migrates to the female Anopheles salivary glands. So when the mosquito drinks from another human, it infects them with Plasmodium via saliva.

This is what I learnt anyway
    Right, thank you. The problem isn't understanding, it's having to remember so many insignificant details -.-

ReputationRep:
    Right, thank you. The problem isn't understanding, it's having to remember so many insignificant details -.-
    Ditto
    My brain hurts already. I wish it was an afternoon exam! I always need to pee like 3 times in the morning
    Does anyone have like a list of relevant keyword for this unit?

ReputationRep:
    Ditto
    My brain hurts already. I wish it was an afternoon exam! I always need to pee like 3 times in the morning
    Does anyone have like a list of relevant keyword for this unit?
    Hahahah that's strange.

Hey wanna test each other on definitions?
    Define the meaning of "vector"

ReputationRep:
    Hahahah that's strange.

Hey wanna test each other on definitions?
    Define the meaning of "vector"
    This is why I need a list of keywords and their definitions, because I suck at them!

I would go with...
    A medium used by a pathogen as a means of transport to infect several hosts.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong

Uhmm,

Define and describe the function of an Enzyme.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I need a list of keywords and their definitions, because I suck at them!

I would go with...
    A medium used by a pathogen as a means of transport to infect several hosts.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong

Uhmm,

Define and describe the function of an Enzyme.
    Hmm for someone that doesn't know their definitions that was almost tooooooo perfect *evil eyes*

An enzyme if a biological catalyst, it offers an alternative route with a lower Ae(Activation energy) for a certain reaction. The enzyme is composed of various structures 1° 2° tertiary or quarternary. Enzymes also contain active sites which are specific to the type of molecule that binds to them via the substrates- which are then converted into products. Sometimes enzymes contain more than one active sites- which are refered to as the alleosteric sites to which non-comp^ inhibitors can bind to.

Sorry for spelling.

Define and use the term "selection pressure"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gotzz)
    Nuclei*
    Couldn't remember the plural lol

ReputationRep:
    Do we only have to know the definitions on the spec or will they ask more?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm for someone that doesn't know their definitions that was almost tooooooo perfect *evil eyes*

An enzyme if a biological catalyst, it offers an alternative route with a lower Ae(Activation energy) for a certain reaction. The enzyme is composed of various structures 1° 2° tertiary or quarternary. Enzymes also contain active sites which are specific to the type of molecule that binds to them via the substrates- which are then converted into products. Sometimes enzymes contain more than one active sites- which are refered to as the alleosteric sites to which non-comp^ inhibitors can bind to.

Sorry for spelling.

Define and use the term "selection pressure"
    I just made something simple sound cool

Dayymm, that's more then what I was expecting

I have only just come across that term today actually, in a mark scheme!

I'd go with...
    An adaptation, caused by mutation, in an organism that is vital for survival. This pressurises the species into Natural Selection, where the organisms sexually reproduce so that the offspring have the beneficial trait in order for the species to survive.
    e.g. mutation causing resistance to a harmful substance, without it the species would become extinct.

That's a guess, but it makes sense in my brain which probably means I went off on a whole different tangent.

I now have to attend an extremely underpaid job of mine

But I'll leave you with...

Define...
    a) Species Evenness
    b) Species Richness
    and explain their importance in Biodiversity.

ReputationRep:
    The last module of this unit is making me hate biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeyMickey6)
    Do we need to know how it's made tho ?
    I shouldn't think so. You need to know that it can grown on almost any organic substrate and so, it can be combined with the removal of waste. You also need to know the ideal conditions for growing it are the same as other harmful microorganisms.

If you do want to know, from GCSE's, I think they're grown in large metal vats, in which the temperatures and other factors can be controlled.

ReputationRep:
    I just made something simple sound cool

Dayymm, that's more then what I was expecting

I have only just come across that term today actually, in a mark scheme!

I'd go with...
    An adaptation, caused by mutation, in an organism that is vital for survival. This pressurises the species into Natural Selection, where the organisms sexually reproduce so that the offspring have the beneficial trait in order for the species to survive.
    e.g. mutation causing resistance to a harmful substance, without it the species would become extinct.

That's a guess, but it makes sense in my brain which probably means I went off on a whole different tangent.

I now have to attend an extremely underpaid job of mine

But I'll leave you with...

Define...
    a) Species Evenness
    b) Species Richness
    and explain their importance in Biodiversity.
    It makes sense when thought about; but erm not sure which nail you hit on the head but you certainly hit one of them lol

I'm not sure if they cover this at AS (presuming ) you're an AS student, but selection pressures as you said do lead to natural selection. But they're not always caused by mutations. Abiotic and biotic factors can be selection pressures.

If this doesn't make any sense stop reading from here on.

Think of it as like an elastic band the more you stretch(selection pressure) the closer you get to snapping it(natural selection). So if human eating aliens visited earth, the selection pressure could be availability of shelter. Those without shelter will be eaten whilst those with shelter may undergo natural selection.

I hate biodiversity. Species evenness is the relative abundance of each individual species in an ecosystem. Species richness is how many organisms of the same species are present in an ecosystem.

High species eveness probably means a greater biodiversity since you have more of different type of organisms e.g. a greater variety. Species richness would probably decrease biodiversity since there'd likely be fearless biodiversity within the ecosystem. Yeah that's why I dislike biodiversity.

Lol, money is money; have a good day

ReputationRep:
    hi - i have a question about selective breeding?

im doing a paper from jan11 and im confused on this 2 mark question...

'suggest two undesirable consequences of selective breeding in chickens' (2)

the mark scheme says:
    growth too rapid ;
    increased susceptibility to, disease / named abnormality ;
    inbreeding ;
    reduces gene pool / genetic variation / genetic diversity ;

but i still dont understand :/

thanks in advance for any help

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with 'discuss current estimates of biodiversity'

What exactly do we need to know?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do these notes contain everything you need to know?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...2&d=1275831003

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.