The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xKaylax
What would be the significance of a LOW value for Simpson's Index of Diversity on a planned development?
Like if it's high then the planned development wouldn't go ahead because it's high biodiversity and needs to be conserved etc...
so if it's low would that mean that the plans would go ahead? Or would they not because the habitat is less stable and unlikely to adapt to change?

Also what is the role of DNA polymerase?

I thought if it was high value than that would mean they would go ahead because the species aren't at risk of extinction
Low value means they need to change their development to make it more eco-friendly or the authorities will dismiss the development
Reply 1001
thses are my predictions anyway:
1. Protein struc./Collagen+Haemoglobin
2. Structure DNA/RNA
3. Enzyme Inhibitors

4.Selective breeding in agriculture
5.TB+HIV
6.Random quadrat survey
7.Evol by NS of pesticide/drug resistance
7.Climate change effect
:dots:
Reply 1003
I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but apart from the obvious words like "discuss" in some of the questions (so I omit these questions) would you get penalized for answering in bullet point?
Anyone done question spotting from past 5-6 past papers and can predict what will come up?
Original post by king0617
I'm not sure if this has been asked or not, but apart from the obvious words like "discuss" in some of the questions (so I omit these questions) would you get penalized for answering in bullet point?

I've always wondered this too. Apart from QWC ones obv
Reply 1006
Do we need to know what a ring vaccination and herd vaccination is? Also what are they? :smile:
Reply 1007
"Q. For seed banks.. Suggest why it is important to collect seeds from several different sites in the wild"

One of the answer was "reduce chance of inbreeding".. why? I don't understand why they don't want to inbreed..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1008
do we need to know the difference between incidence and prevalence, and the difference between epidemic and pandemic?
Reply 1009
Original post by wndms
"Q. For seed banks.. Suggest why it is important to collect seeds from several different sites in the wild"

One of the answer was "reduce chance of inbreeding".. why? I don't understand why they don't want to inbreed..

Posted from TSR Mobile

increases gene pool
Reply 1010
Original post by g.k.galloway

Haha oh yeh, forgot about those ones :/

I've just been going through past papers and it seems easier to just use bullet point for the 2 and 3 mark questions.
Original post by Danny786
Anyone done question spotting from past 5-6 past papers and can predict what will come up?

- Collagen
- Effect of pH on enzymes
- Inhibitors
- Adaptions (different types etc)
- Darwin's observations
- Why is biodiversity important
- Effects of CO
- Protein synthesis (long question)
- Emulsion test
- Cellulose maybe
- Preventing food spoilage

Just my ideas :smile:
Reply 1012
Original post by wndms

Posted from TSR Mobile

inbreeding is where closely related individuals (who therefore have similar alleles) breed. This means that their genes will be similar, so there will be less genetic variation (a reduced gene pool) - meaning they will be more vulnerable to disease which could effectively wipe out the whole population
Reply 1013
I thought inbreeding reduces the gene pool?
Original post by wndms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because seed banks are all about maintaining genetic diversity and a collection of different genes. Inbreeding is used when you are selectively breeding for a desirable characteristic, seed banks aren't used for selective breeding, they are used to hold a variety of genes that are present in different types of seeds. :smile:
Original post by king0617
I thought inbreeding reduces the gene pool?

He means that they want to prevent inbreeding to keep gene pool high, so yes it does reduce the gene pool.
Hey could someone help me with this:
In jan 2013, for question 2(a) the question was ''explain why the influenza virus is usually described as a pathogen rather than a parasite''
The answer was ''because influenza virus does not gain nutrients from the host'' so this implies that parasites don't gain nutrients from the host right?
But on page 160 of the AS textbook that we're all using...it says under parasites ''they usuall harm by taking their nutrition from their host''
Reply 1017
Original post by cookiess
In jan 2013, for question 2(a) the question was ''explain why the influenza virus is usually described as a pathogen rather than a parasite''
The answer was ''because influenza virus does not gain nutrients from the host'' so this implies that parasites don't gain nutrients from the host right?
But on page 160 of the AS textbook that we're all using...it says under parasites ''they usuall harm by taking their nutrition from their host''

honestly they contradict on so many things OCR, my chemistry teacher told us to ignore any mark scheme answers because sometimes they write incorrect answers to be acceptable
Original post by g.k.galloway

In QWC question you can use bullet points! There's never any mark for writing in prose, in any OCR mark-scheme, for any exam. In describe questions it is wise to write in bullet points, because the mark-scheme is written in bullet point format.

In AQA, and at GCSE you should write in prose in a QWC question. Not at A level :smile:
Original post by cookiess

No, its asking why is influenza classed as a pathogen rather than a parasite. A parasite takes nutrition yes, but its saying that because influenze doesnt it isnt classed as a parasite

Latest

Trending

Trending