Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What would be more appealing to universities? If I wrote an EPQ about something I'm hoping to apply for, would an EPQ look better?

Thanks in advance for any comments

ReputationRep:
    Oh also, for anyone who does Critical Thinking, do you have to be good at English to do it? Because I'm not amazing at English, I got 2 Bs at GCSE for it.

ReputationRep:
    EPQ is more respected by unis as far as i know

ReputationRep:
    The EPQ. Purely because it shows independent research which university level study requires, particularly if you do the EPQ related to your chosen course

This is Oxford's take on the EPQ:

"Where applicants have undertaken the Extended Project (EP), this will not be a condition of any offer but the University recognises that the EP will provide an applicant with the opportunity to develop research and academic skills relevant for study at Oxford. Candidates are encouraged to draw upon relevant EP experience when writing their personal statement."

ReputationRep:
    While universities say they like you to have an EPQ, most of my friends did one and not one person's was included in their university offers. I opted for Critical Thinking as a fast-track course instead, and it was permitted to make up part of every one of my university offers (which included Russell Group unis). Just something to bear in mind.
    With regards to difficulty of Critical Thinking, I barely revised at all for the AS exams and got an A. Most people in my class did pretty well without much extra work. It's just learning some key terms then applying them to pretty easy data, to be honest.
    I don't want to make your decision for you but from what I can tell, an EPQ is a lot of work for not a lot of credit, in comparison to something that is technically worth the same that you can pretty much just go to the lessons for then turn up to the exams.
    Hope this helped!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.