Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Does anyone have any tips to help me find a placement in a school? I NEED experience and I'm running out of time!!

I'll be applying for the 2014 intake but obviously need to get experience before applying in October time.

Any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle0)
    Hey

Does anyone have any tips to help me find a placement in a school? I NEED experience and I'm running out of time!!

I'll be applying for the 2014 intake but obviously need to get experience before applying in October time.

Any help is appreciated.
    I was trying for 9 months to get my school placement. My advice would be to ring up schools, follow up with an email/cover letter, and then go in dressed smart. Sell yourself and your skills rather than asking for observation, and be super flexible.
    Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    I was trying for 9 months to get my school placement. My advice would be to ring up schools, follow up with an email/cover letter, and then go in dressed smart. Sell yourself and your skills rather than asking for observation, and be super flexible.
    Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like I've been trying forever too! Why is this so difficult lol, thank you
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Danielle0)
    I feel like I've been trying forever too! Why is this so difficult lol, thank you
    Do you have any friends/family friends who are in teaching capacities you could ask perhaps? Stupid question probably, its just I feel your pain. Getting observations in schools was quite difficult but luckily for me my sisters friends sister helped me out as shes a maths teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkySantosh)
    Do you have any friends/family friends who are in teaching capacities you could ask perhaps? Stupid question probably, its just I feel your pain. Getting observations in schools was quite difficult but luckily for me my sisters friends sister helped me out as shes a maths teacher.
    I literally know nobody! I applied to a volunteering role today for a vacancy which involves going into various schools to do talks on different issues etc. Not exactly what I'm looking for but I suppose it could be a step in the right direction if it means I get some contacts? I'm glad you managed though

ReputationRep:
    In teaching, you have to use your initiative to find ways around these sorts of problems. You have to realise that when you email a school with a request like this, your email is sent to a receptionist who may or may not bother to forward your email to the appropriate person. If they do forward it on, the person who receives it is certainly not going to prioritise it. Why should they? It's of no benefit to them. Most teachers only check their emails once or twice a day, too - it's not like an office when people have their emails open constantly. This means you have to work extra hard to get your voice heard.

I would recommend calling your local university education department. Ask to speak to the admissions tutor. Tell them that you want to apply to their PGCE programme next year but are struggling to find a school that will allow you to come in and observe so that you can gain the experience they require. Ask them whether they can give you the contact details of any local partner schools who might be willing to have you. Make sure you get a name, direct phone number and direct email address for the person you need to speak to. Don't be fobbed off with the number of reception and a generic school email address.

You will need to call first, not email - and you will also need to make sure you call at the right time. Calling just after the school day has finished or at lunchtime is best. If they're not available, send a polite email to their direct email address, stating how you got their contact details and what you are specifically asking for. Give all the details you can - dates, times, everything. Then say that if you don't hear from them in a week, you'll follow up with another phone call. Chances are they'll get back to you pretty swiftly.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling trying to get a school to agree for me to observe sixth form and I'm a PGCE student now! It's not like I'm asking to teach any of them, just to observe because both my placements have been 11-16 but I have received no replies from anyone, so I can sympathise!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.