Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone doing this summer?
    Jetting off to south america? Inter-railing around Europe? Travelling Britain? Gaining necessary experience? Just staying home and working? Interested to see what everyone is doing for holidays!

ReputationRep:
    Ill be doing an internship in South Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MantaRey)
    Ill be doing an internship in South Africa.
    Nice! What for? Why South Africa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Nice! What for? Why South Africa?
    I'll be interning (hopefully) with the US State Department in either the embassy or one of the consulates.

Why not SA? Good weather (though it will be winter there), they speak English, the food is great, and I know a few people there. Not to mention going on safari is quite fun.

SA is the biggest economy and one of the most important nations in Africa, so its a great country to be introduced to Africa while still enjoying aspects of a "western" lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MantaRey)
    I'll be interning (hopefully) with the US State Department in either the embassy or one of the consulates.

Why not SA? Good weather (though it will be winter there), they speak English, the food is great, and I know a few people there. Not to mention going on safari is quite fun.

SA is the biggest economy and one of the most important nations in Africa, so its a great country to be introduced to Africa while still enjoying aspects of a "western" lifestyle.
    Ah how did you manage to get into that?

Yes, South Africa is an incredible country but I have just not heard of many people undertaking internships there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of traveling around the UK for a few weeks, I'm not sure if I should... other than that I will be working. :/

What about yourself? Any plans?

ReputationRep:
    I'll just be working and preparing for my PGCE. Going to zante for a week in July

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    I'm thinking of traveling around the UK for a few weeks, I'm not sure if I should... other than that I will be working. :/

What about yourself? Any plans?
    Booked my flights to Greece yesterday in June. A friend and I are cycling from Thessaloniki to Calais in Northern France! Very excited for it! Then, when I come back, I am going to work the fringe festival. Depending on how much money I make in august, I may try and get away to southern Spain or turkey with some friends for a week to get some last minute soon before university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)
    I'll just be working and preparing for my PGCE. Going to zante for a week in July

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you prep for a PGCE? Reading?

Booked my flights to Greece yesterday in June. A friend and I are cycling from Thessaloniki to Calais in Northern France! Very excited for it! Then, when I come back, I am going to work the fringe festival. Depending on how much money I make in august, I may try and get away to southern Spain or turkey with some friends for a week to get some last minute soon before university!
    That sounds great! You have one hell of a summer lined up so have a good time

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully will get the summer play worker job that I had an interview for last week, will be moving in with my boyfriend, graduating and also preparing for my pgce

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That sounds great! You have one hell of a summer lined up so have a good time
    Haha thanks I most certainly will! You enjoy yours too, whatever you end up doing!

ReputationRep:
    Going to Cornwall with a group of friends for a week (staying in a caravan which should be a new experience!), going to Malaga to see / stay with my spanish friend, probably going to Turkey with my family...all in all, travelling quite a bit! Ooh and buying clothes for starting uni!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billton)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same im going to zante for a week in 9-16th July! It will be one mental week

ReputationRep:
    How do you prep for a PGCE? Reading?
    Reading, professional practise, swotting up on the national curriculum, getting a head start on making some generic resources and researching educational issues in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalumHowell)
    Same im going to zante for a week in 9-16th July! It will be one mental week
    I'm there from the 2nd - 9th so might see you at the airport ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://thediaryofawanderlust0.blogspot.com.es/

ReputationRep:
    I'm off interrailing around Europe I'm trying to see as much as possible in 10 days, which may or may not be a good idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingenting)
    I'm off interrailing around Europe I'm trying to see as much as possible in 10 days, which may or may not be a good idea
    How much is that costing you roughly altogether? I'm going to hopefully look into that soon, possible summer plan!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ingenting)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What countries are you thinking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowedin)
    How much is that costing you roughly altogether? I'm going to hopefully look into that soon, possible summer plan!
    I've only got a rough idea atm, but around £700 for the Pass, Eurostar, reservations and hostels, plus spending money on top of that.

Where are you thinking of going?

What countries are you thinking?
    I've planned a big loop from Paris, down to the south of France, then Italy, Germany, up to Denmark & Sweden and then back to Brussels via Amsterdam. It'll be a bit full on, but should be an amazing experience to end my gap year on!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.