The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

IR Admit Rate

Hi,
Does anyone know the number of applicants per place for IR at St Andrews, or how I could find out?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by johnledyard
Hi,
Does anyone know the number of applicants per place for IR at St Andrews, or how I could find out?

Thanks

I remember once reading that for IR and Economics, it could be anything up to 25 applicants per place. The overall ratio was around 11 or 12 per place for the whole university a few years ago. You could always submit a FOI request or just simply ask admissions and see if they'll tell you.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
International Relations is ridiculously competitive at St Andrews for some reason. My plan initially was to apply for a less competitive subject, such as Anthropology or History, and then just pick up IR at the uni. However they stopped letting you do this :frown: If you want to do IR you must explicitly say so in your UCAS form.

At the open day on the 3rd of April your exact question was asked to an IR Professor; he claimed that there's 16 applicants per place; and of those roughly 1/8 will be given an offer. Assuming that roughly half will accept the offer / get the grades. I know you'd expect more than half to accept, but bare in mind IR attracts many top-class internationals.. I know of two Americans who got offers, one rejected St As to study political science at Stanford, and the other to read Human Social and Political Science at Cambridge.

At another talk held by a woman high up in admissions, she claimed there's upwards of 24 applicants per place for the most competitive courses such as economics and especially IR, and offers were scarce for such subjects.

You'll hear different statistics being thrown about, but as the above post says you should contact admissions. They were invaluable in aiding my application this year; letting me know exactly what was being looked for by departmental admission tutors etc.. and I was lucky enough to slip through the net and secure an offer for IR.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending