Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I need to write an essay; Evaluate the UK’s economic performance in recent decades from both an historical and international perspective.

How would you go about structuring an essay like this?

Thnx in advance

ReputationRep:
    Don't have time for details, extremely sorry! But, I would start by formatting it: abstract, table of contents, points, appendix (with all your data being there) and bibliography.

Research:
    I would firstly, start of with researching famous bloggers that comment on Britain's economy, so I am talking Krugman. LSE podcasts are good to here, read City AM (Alister Heath - to get the free market perspective)

Then, make a timeline -- of one decade to another. In each decade - interpret its GDP, interest rates and so on, primarily why this happened. We did go through a boom till 2007.

Bullet point: historic reasons, how did we trade? What did we trade? How did our country wound up so service oriented? Why are production costs high? Why are exchange rates high? Our education service is good (uni wise - not secondary school wise!) Our supply of R&D.
    international reasons, our relationship with other countries. Our supply of credit. Regulation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NidaJaffri)
    Don't have time for details, extremely sorry! But, I would start by formatting it: abstract, table of contents, points, appendix (with all your data being there) and bibliography.

Research:
    I would firstly, start of with researching famous bloggers that comment on Britain's economy, so I am talking Krugman. LSE podcasts are good to here, read City AM (Alister Heath - to get the free market perspective)

Then, make a timeline -- of one decade to another. In each decade - interpret its GDP, interest rates and so on, primarily why this happened. We did go through a boom till 2007.

Bullet point: historic reasons, how did we trade? What did we trade? How did our country wound up so service oriented? Why are production costs high? Why are exchange rates high? Our education service is good (uni wise - not secondary school wise!) Our supply of R&D.
    international reasons, our relationship with other countries. Our supply of credit. Regulation.
    Hi, this is great, I forgot to mention, I have a 1,000 word limit, including footnotes, so which main things would you discuss and how would you relate this to the 'historical and international perspective'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    Hi, this is great, I forgot to mention, I have a 1,000 word limit, including footnotes, so which main things would you discuss and how would you relate this to the 'historical and international perspective'?
    Don't worry about footnotes, if you go on Microsoft Word and insert bibliography it does it for you

Umm, on top of my head? I would go into detail about our growing service sector, financial sector - and how the financial sector became concentrated. Do some research, I think London has some of the oldest investment banks - history of regulations and how it correlates with GDP. Look into correlations between macroeconomic variables.

MAYBE if you have words, go into how the Western culture encouraged the economy. Are we innovative? Hierarchical related?

I don't actually know what you mean by "international" perspective, but this economy is very established.

ReputationRep:
    http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~saez/berkeleysympo2.pdf -- read the conclusion.

How about subhead it: Great Depression, Sub-prime Mortgage Crisis.. etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.