ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I’ve been trying to get some opinions about Universities, and courses on TSR. I’ve noticed that when some one ask how an University or department is, the usual reply is “good”, “bad” or “it’s ok”. For a serious student that is just not enough, we need to know why is good or bad, we need more detail. That info is vital to make the right decision.

Also I was wondering why no one here mention tutors and professors when talking about a department, module, etc? Is there any reason?
    I agree about “No personal attacks or inflammatory behaviour” rule. But the Forum’s rules doesn’t say we can not talk about them on academic and professional level.

Any idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irasa87)
    Hi,
    I’ve been trying to get some opinions about Universities, and courses on TSR. I’ve noticed that when some one ask how an University or department is, the usual reply is “good”, “bad” or “it’s ok”. For a serious student that is just not enough, we need to know why is good or bad, we need more detail. That info is vital to make the right decision.
    The reason why people give such short replies is probably because they don't really know much. People also try and keep concise and don't want to/can't be bothered to write detailed posts.

If you want more information from people, just ask and see if they'll give more detail. There's nothing the site and its staff can do about this, I'm afraid.

Also I was wondering why no one here mention tutors and professors when talking about a department, module, etc? Is there any reason?
    I agree about “No personal attacks or inflammatory behaviour” rule. But the Forum’s rules doesn’t say we can not talk about them on academic and professional level.
    There's nothing in the rules stating that current university staff cannot be mentioned. Members are free to discuss academic staff all they like, providing what they say isn't libellous.

Often I'll see academics mentioned. I often discuss individual academics myself, especially when discussing philosophy and politics courses.

The reason why many people don't is tied to what I said earlier in the post. Many are unaware of individual academics, their research and teaching, especially younger members.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    There's nothing in the rules stating that current university staff cannot be mentioned. Members are free to discuss academic staff all they like, providing what they say isn't libellous.

Often I'll see academics mentioned. I often discuss individual academics myself, especially when discussing philosophy and politics courses.

The reason why many people don't is tied to what I said earlier in the post. Many are unaware of individual academics, their research and teaching, especially younger members.
    Well, thanks for reply, you seem to be the only brave one.

If people don’t talk and share info we are missing the point of the TSR.

I don’t think people realise how vital to choose the right University, the right degree, or even the right modules are. We can only do this with good info. Depending how wise we choose we could end with valuable degree, high honours and a good chance in life or wasted 5 years and end working as waiter.

I was beginning to think this subject was a taboo. What exactly do you mean libellous comments? Because that could be interpreted as any negative comment about a person.

For example can I say how bad a tutor was academically speaking? (no comments on personal issues). Or any difficulty we found with a tutor?

If we are allow to say how brilliant a tutor was and why, we should be free to say how bad he was as well, and why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irasa87)
    Well, thanks for reply, you seem to be the only brave one.
    This forum isn't the most visited on TSR, and many of the threads have only a few posts (and couple of hundred views) so I wouldn't take it personally. I also don't think others aren't being "brave". Again, it's just that those who probably feel they are able to reply haven't seen the thread.

If people don’t talk and share info we are missing the point of the TSR.
    Indeed, and generally people who do know what they are talking about do take the time to share information and produce detailed posts (and/or private messages).

I can point you to 100s of posts I have made which are in excess of 1000 words and provide a detailed comparison of departments, or overview of the course I studied as an undergraduate, its staff, and my experiences. I'm not the only one, either.

I don’t think people realise how vital to choose the right University, the right degree, or even the right modules are. We can only do this with good info. Depending how wise we choose we could end with valuable degree, high honours and a good chance in life or wasted 5 years and end working as waiter.
    And, again, people who are in an informed position do give this information. The problem is many aren't or will have only a basic idea of what a certain university is like, often based on little more than league tables.

For example, someone might create a thread called "Is Southampton a good university"? If this were to happen, I bet most replies will be fairly brief and comprise of "it's good/it's not bad/it's Russell Group/it's not Oxbridge but it's decent/it's good for engineering". Only those who are currently at the university, which will be a minority of people posting on the thread, will be able to offer more information.

Sometimes it is the "fault" of the person asking the question. If they ask too general a question, they will be more likely to get very general, perhaps generic, replies. Often if people ask a directed question then they receive better replies.

I was beginning to think this subject was a taboo.
    Not at all....

What exactly do you mean libellous comments? Because that could be interpreted as any negative comment about a person.
    Well let's just say a person's criticism needs to be directed at the teaching style. Ideally a balanced overview of teaching will be provided (good and bad). If there are no good things to say then that's fine, but still try and keep it directed to what you disliked about the teaching and ways in which you think it should be improved. People shouldn't make personal attacks against others.

For example can I say how bad a tutor was academically speaking? (no comments on personal issues).
    Yes

Or any difficulty we found with a tutor?
    In most cases, yes. Although depending on the situation it might be unwise to share this information. If it's a particularly bad "difficulty", for example, and has resulted in a formal complaint against a person, then it's probably best to leave

If we are allow to say how brilliant a tutor was and why, we should be free to say how bad he was as well, and why.
    And no one is saying you can't. If you think teaching on a course is poor, whether generally or specific individuals, then you're welcome to share this on the site providing you do so constructively and sensibly :hat2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.