Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Well, with the exams getting closer and closer I've started to try and study more now. I feel as if i'm managing to cope with my other subjects, but just not English.

I've never really been good at English, but I still managed to pass the prelim - just! I got 51%! But the part that is letting me down is my essays. Out of all the essays I have done, I have had 11's and one 15. Can anyone give me any essay tips? The texts i'm studying are Hamlet and Heart of Darkness and the poetry is Fernhill, The Whitsun Weddings and Ambulances.

I really don't know what do to when studying for the essays. Should I write detailed plans and learn them? Should I just practice with mini plans and write the essays?

Help anyone?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not very strong with English either but I got through my essays for my prelims by doing lots of plans for different sorts of questions. Most questions are based around varied ideas, like theme, turning point, key scene etc but worded harder and differently each time so if you have a basic idea on what to write for each, it's a start. By making plans on what quotes I would do for that question, topic sentences, pre-prepared introduction I managed to get a 17 and 21 for my prelim.

I wouldn't say write an essay for every single question as essays do take quite a bit of time.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.