Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

The best way to lose weight? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been trying to lose weight, but it's not working too well at the moment. I currently weigh about 190lbs, I'm 5ft5 and I'm 25yo female.

I'm counting my calorie intake, using an App for my phone (MyFitnessPal). Based on my level of activity I do at work, it tells me I can eat about 1800 calories per day (that is at a 500 calorie deficit per day).

I am on the repo-provera injection for contraception. Since I've been on this I've put on weight, but I've been bopping around the 180 - 190lbs mark for over a year now.

I go to the gym, but probably not regularly enough. I currently go once per week (sometimes less), as I'm caring for my boyfriend at the moment. When I am at the Gym I'm there for just over an hour doing a routine a personal trainer put together for me (Walk on treadmill for 10 mins, 20 mins on cross trainer, 20 mins on bike, 3x12 reps of chest pull, abdominal cruncher, lat pulldown, seated row and leg press).

My job can be quite demanding as I work for a supermarket - I mainly put deliveries out so I'm pushing and pulling VERY heavy roll cages, as well as lifting heavy cases of up to 10kg per case. I'm also constantly on my feet.

I do not eat 'properly'. I know this. I like chocolate (though I've cut down MASSIVELY). I used to drink up to 4 cans of red bull per day - I now drink 0.

As me and my OH both work full time, sometimes up to 9pm it's difficult to cook decent meals. Can anyone recommend how many times I should go to the gym per week to be effective enough, or any decent foods I can eat, to take to work (is Pasta a good idea? Rice based foods?)

I just need some help. I ideally want to lose approximately 45/50lbs, and then continue going to the gym to *tone up* and keep in good shape.

ANY advice / help (no matter how harsh) will be super appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    eat a balanced diet and exercise.

I don't understand why people get gastric bands, liposuction and surgery to lose weight. The problem is, they say they have "tried everything"...EVERYTHING except exercise and eating healthy because it takes some effort!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)

I don't understand why people get gastric bands, liposuction and surgery to lose weight. The problem is, they say they have "tried everything"...EVERYTHING except exercise and eating healthy because it takes some effort!
    Well that post was helpful.

I never said anything about surgery.

I go to the gym and exercise - in fact I asked if what I'm doing is enough, and if I should go to the gym more. Even though (at this point in time) I'm going all I can due to having to care for my OH.

I know I need to eat a balanced diet. I did mention that I've cut back on chocolate and the red bulls down to 0. And I also asked if there is any specific foods that would be good to aid the weight loss process, that I could take to work.

ReputationRep:
    In reality, weight loss is about your diet. Exercise helps, of course, but it doesn't burn that many calories.

With regards to meals, it really is just a case of eating healthily and not depriving yourself of anything in particular. At the end of the day, your body needs fat, carbs, protein, fibre etc. There's no point trying to cut one of those key things out on some sort of 'fad' diet, but you do have to find a balance. Pasta/rice to take to work is fine, as long as you don't have it for every meal (because pasta/rice/bread are carb-heavy).

It's practically impossible to give you a list of healthy things in one short post on TSR: firstly, because there are so many healthy things and secondly because it's difficult to define. Like I said, you shouldn't deprive yourself of things you enjoy - just eat it in moderation. So if you decide one day you fancy chocolate or wine, have it, but stop when you don't want any more, rather than just eating/drinking because it's there to consume.

In general, you want to eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat, wholegrains, less sugar/salt, don't go overboard on the dairy (but still have it, because it's important for your health and also tasty!) and drink lots of water. I'm sure you know basically what's healthy for your and what isn't: it's really a case of eating in moderation (i.e. eat when you're hungry and stop when you're fill) and, in the same vein, stop letting food control you. You don't have to finish your plate and food isn't going to make you feel better when you're sad/stressed/angry/etc.

About 1800 calories sounds like a sensible goal if you want to lose around 1 pound per week (that's without exercise). Don't go drastically low because it will only backfire. Also, don't stress about your exact calorie intake: be aware of what you're eating but realise that one bad day isn't going to add an inch to your waistline. Really, the best way to lose weight and keep it off is not to "diet" as such but to adopt an entirely different lifestyle. Learn to enjoy every mouthful of food you eat, rather than just shovelling it down without thinking, indulge when you really want to (which you will probably find isn't as often as you currently do) and if you have a bad day, don't give up. We're only human - it's not a sin to enjoy yourself!

As for exercise, do exercise. It's healthy, fun and energising. But don't expect it to make a massive different to your weight loss. Do, however, use it to gain confidence, feel great and eventually to gain muscle ('tone up'). If the gym is your thing, then 3 or so hours a week is enough for you to start seeing a difference in your fitness and strength. But don't feel compelled to go to the gym just because it's seen as the "only" way of exercising. Find something you love - it will feel less like a chore and you're more likely to keep it up.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    In reality, weight loss is about your diet. Exercise helps, of course, but it doesn't burn that many calories.

With regards to meals, it really is just a case of eating healthily and not depriving yourself of anything in particular. At the end of the day, your body needs fat, carbs, protein, fibre etc. There's no point trying to cut one of those key things out on some sort of 'fad' diet, but you do have to find a balance. Pasta/rice to take to work is fine, as long as you don't have it for every meal (because pasta/rice/bread are carb-heavy).

It's practically impossible to give you a list of healthy things in one short post on TSR: firstly, because there are so many healthy things and secondly because it's difficult to define. Like I said, you shouldn't deprive yourself of things you enjoy - just eat it in moderation. So if you decide one day you fancy chocolate or wine, have it, but stop when you don't want any more, rather than just eating/drinking because it's there to consume.

In general, you want to eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat, wholegrains, less sugar/salt, don't go overboard on the dairy (but still have it, because it's important for your health and also tasty!) and drink lots of water. I'm sure you know basically what's healthy for your and what isn't: it's really a case of eating in moderation (i.e. eat when you're hungry and stop when you're fill) and, in the same vein, stop letting food control you. You don't have to finish your plate and food isn't going to make you feel better when you're sad/stressed/angry/etc.

About 1800 calories sounds like a sensible goal if you want to lose around 1 pound per week (that's without exercise). Don't go drastically low because it will only backfire. Also, don't stress about your exact calorie intake: be aware of what you're eating but realise that one bad day isn't going to add an inch to your waistline. Really, the best way to lose weight and keep it off is not to "diet" as such but to adopt an entirely different lifestyle. Learn to enjoy every mouthful of food you eat, rather than just shovelling it down without thinking, indulge when you really want to (which you will probably find isn't as often as you currently do) and if you have a bad day, don't give up. We're only human - it's not a sin to enjoy yourself!

As for exercise, do exercise. It's healthy, fun and energising. But don't expect it to make a massive different to your weight loss. Do, however, use it to gain confidence, feel great and eventually to gain muscle ('tone up'). If the gym is your thing, then 3 or so hours a week is enough for you to start seeing a difference in your fitness and strength. But don't feel compelled to go to the gym just because it's seen as the "only" way of exercising. Find something you love - it will feel less like a chore and you're more likely to keep it up.

Good luck
    I'm sorry is this an april fools joke. Are you being serious with the parts in bold, are you actually saying exercise doesn't burn many calories. REALLY, SERIOUS NO BULL****TING?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
    I'm sorry is this an april fools joke. Are you being serious with the parts in bold, are you actually saying exercise doesn't burn many calories. REALLY, SERIOUS NO BULL****TING?
    No, it's not an April Fool's Joke. For a start, it's not April Fool's Day where I am anymore!

I was alluding to the idea of weight loss being '80% diet and 20% exercise'. I'm not saying that exercise doesn't burn calories or even that it doesn't burn quite a few, but unless you have a lot of time/stamina on your hands, you're not going to lose a lot of weight just by going to the gym regularly, if you have a crap diet and change nothing.

Exercise is very important in many respects, but diet is key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    No, it's not an April Fool's Joke. For a start, it's not April Fool's Day where I am anymore!

I was alluding to the idea of weight loss being '80% diet and 20% exercise'. I'm not saying that exercise doesn't burn calories or even that it doesn't burn quite a few, but unless you have a lot of time/stamina on your hands, you're not going to lose a lot of weight just by going to the gym regularly, if you have a crap diet and change nothing.

Exercise is very important in many respects, but diet is key.
    That might be what you meant to say, but from what I could workout from your post you were disimissing the benefits of exercise. Esecially when you said exercise doesn't burn that many calories, which is not only misleading, is just down right wrong.

Also I would say exercise is just as important as diet. Yes you are right she should sort her diet out, but she also needs to exercise. Cutting calories or going on a diet of some sort will only get you so far until it stops having an effect and you have to take your diet to the next level, which starts becoming extreme. Exercise is very important and a diet will only work effectively with exercise. As for not having the time, that may be so, but she just needs to do more in the time she has. If she only has 30 min to workout then in that 30 min she should be doing some high inensity exercise to burn as many calories as possible. And believe me if done properly you can burn a lot in 30 min (and that's not including the extra burning of calories she will get after the work out as the body start to recuperate and the added benefit of increasing her metabolic rate).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I have been trying to lose weight, but it's not working too well at the moment. I currently weigh about 190lbs, I'm 5ft5 and I'm 25yo female.

I'm counting my calorie intake, using an App for my phone (MyFitnessPal). Based on my level of activity I do at work, it tells me I can eat about 1800 calories per day (that is at a 500 calorie deficit per day).

I am on the repo-provera injection for contraception. Since I've been on this I've put on weight, but I've been bopping around the 180 - 190lbs mark for over a year now.

I go to the gym, but probably not regularly enough. I currently go once per week (sometimes less), as I'm caring for my boyfriend at the moment. When I am at the Gym I'm there for just over an hour doing a routine a personal trainer put together for me (Walk on treadmill for 10 mins, 20 mins on cross trainer, 20 mins on bike, 3x12 reps of chest pull, abdominal cruncher, lat pulldown, seated row and leg press).

My job can be quite demanding as I work for a supermarket - I mainly put deliveries out so I'm pushing and pulling VERY heavy roll cages, as well as lifting heavy cases of up to 10kg per case. I'm also constantly on my feet.

I do not eat 'properly'. I know this. I like chocolate (though I've cut down MASSIVELY). I used to drink up to 4 cans of red bull per day - I now drink 0.

As me and my OH both work full time, sometimes up to 9pm it's difficult to cook decent meals. Can anyone recommend how many times I should go to the gym per week to be effective enough, or any decent foods I can eat, to take to work (is Pasta a good idea? Rice based foods?)

I just need some help. I ideally want to lose approximately 45/50lbs, and then continue going to the gym to *tone up* and keep in good shape.

ANY advice / help (no matter how harsh) will be super appreciated.

first off , cut all the soda , beer and alcoholic drinks you consume . Never Drink your calories and since Sodas are full of sugar , therefore it has a **** load of calories , instead , try to drink a gallon of water everyday .

cut on the amount of carbohydrate you eat . carbohydrates are including : rice , bread , beans , potato , spaghetti and any starchy food . instead eat more veggies which fill up your belly and makes you full.

stop eating 3 -4 hours before going to bed.

every morning , walk for a full hour with empty stomach .

exercise more , in addition to the slow peace walking in the morning , you have to contribute a fast peace running session to your afternoon plan , which must last up to 20 - 25 min .

Do the 1 full hour of walking every single day , doesn't matter if it's snowing ,rainy or sunny , you got to do what you gotta do , and do the running sessions 3 to 5 days a week .

loosing weight takes time , like anything else , but be patient and consistent.
    I'm an experienced fitness personal trainer and helped many client to lose weight and get to their desirable shape . if you have any further question , let me know .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feghdan)
    first off , cut all the soda , beer and alcoholic drinks you consume . Never Drink your calories and since Sodas are full of sugar , therefore it has a **** load of calories , instead , try to drink a gallon of water everyday .

cut on the amount of carbohydrate you eat . carbohydrates are including : rice , bread , beans , potato , spaghetti and any starchy food . instead eat more veggies which fill up your belly and makes you full.

stop eating 3 -4 hours before going to bed.

every morning , walk for a full hour with empty stomach .

exercise more , in addition to the slow peace walking in the morning , you have to contribute a fast peace running session to your afternoon plan , which must last up to 20 - 25 min .

Do the 1 full hour of walking every single day , doesn't matter if it's snowing ,rainy or sunny , you got to do what you gotta do , and do the running sessions 3 to 5 days a week .

loosing weight takes time , like anything else , but be patient and consistent.
    I'm an experienced fitness personal trainer and helped many client to lose weight and get to their desirable shape . if you have any further question , let me know .
    I've stopped drinking soda drinks, the only one I drink is Diet Coke on occasions, I mostly drink juice (pure orange / cranberry juice). I don't drink alcohol very often, usually every other month I'll have 1 or 2 drinks and that is it.

I don't get to walk in the morning as I start work at 7am.. When I'm at work from 7am to 4pm I'm constantly on my feet. I put deliveries away which consists of rollers of super heavy meat etc. Each case weighs about 5 - 10kg and there is usually about 20 cases per roller - so I'm doing heavy lifting and walking the department all day long - would this count instead of the 1 hour walk every morning?

I go to the gym once a week atm, but I'm going to go more often now, as I've been caring for my partner. I'm unable to run as I have very bad asthma, which is why I go to the gym, so I'm in a controlled environment. I go on the cross trainer and bikes as well as treadmills - I then do some weight based stuff.

We've started eating more veggies. I enjoy eating them, and enjoy cooking stews etc (which is what I'm doing tomorrow - lots of veg!).

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I've stopped drinking soda drinks, the only one I drink is Diet Coke on occasions, I mostly drink juice (pure orange / cranberry juice). I don't drink alcohol very often, usually every other month I'll have 1 or 2 drinks and that is it.

I don't get to walk in the morning as I start work at 7am.. When I'm at work from 7am to 4pm I'm constantly on my feet. I put deliveries away which consists of rollers of super heavy meat etc. Each case weighs about 5 - 10kg and there is usually about 20 cases per roller - so I'm doing heavy lifting and walking the department all day long - would this count instead of the 1 hour walk every morning?

I go to the gym once a week atm, but I'm going to go more often now, as I've been caring for my partner. I'm unable to run as I have very bad asthma, which is why I go to the gym, so I'm in a controlled environment. I go on the cross trainer and bikes as well as treadmills - I then do some weight based stuff.

We've started eating more veggies. I enjoy eating them, and enjoy cooking stews etc (which is what I'm doing tomorrow - lots of veg!).

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it

seems like you have made some great changes in your diet and your lifestyle , also try to cut down on your carbs as well as completely omitting sugar consumption .

Basically , The primary Energy source of your body is carbohydrate which is stored as glucose in your muscles , by cutting down on your carbs you deplete your stored body glucose , as a result , your body starts to use it's secondary energy source , which is of course the fat stored in the body . so by cutting down on your carbs , your body start to use your body fat as it's source of energy .
    after your muscle glucose is depleted , you might feel you are not as strong as before , which is quite natural , but your body would soon adapts it self and you'd be fine soon after .

every person , depends on his/her gender , height , weight and age , needs a number of calories to maintain his/her weight .
    you lose weight by eating less calories than what your body needs to maintain it's weight .
    you can find out your maintenance calories by one of the online calories calculators.

by doing cardio vascular exercises , like running and jugging we try to burn a few hundreds calories just to make sure the body is in caloric deficit .

so you can lose weight without exercising and by just having a planed and controlled diet . but if you want to speed up your weight lose , exercises helps for sure .

try to hit the gym 3 days a week , do your cardio sessions after your weight lifting . try to use 55 -60 percent of your body maximum heart rate .

the max body heart rate is worked out by taking away your age from 220 .

PS:contributing slow peace walking and fast peace running that i suggested you previously is just one of the many fat lose exercise methods , nevertheless , your job seems to be a sufficient calories burner exercise on it's own .

good luck on your journey .

ReputationRep:
    Monday Mourning by Kathy Reichs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Run

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel George)

yes, I would tend to agree. Not really a last measure...
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire Staffordwww.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire www.d2ride.co.uk
    Racing Bike and Triathlon Bike Hire Telfordwww.d2ride.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    seems like you have made some great changes in your diet and your lifestyle , also try to cut down on your carbs as well as completely omitting sugar consumption .

Basically , .......... slow peace walking and fast peace running that i suggested you previously is just one of the many fat lose exercise methods , nevertheless , your job seems to be a sufficient calories burner exercise on it's own .

good luck on your journey .
    You forgot about the part where you have to eat on the hour every hour otherwise your metabolism might slow down so much that you will regain all your lost fat.

ReputationRep:
    I will come back later because I need to sleep but your gym routine sucks. More time at the gym needed. Tbh I would cut out the cycling unless you are doing it a fast pace and resistance because it isn't intense enough.

Also try doing compound movements like squats and deadlifts. I know you might not feel comfortable doing it now because if your body image but I would seriously consider it because it involves so many mucsles.

Also log down your progress at the gym while you are doing it. It can be motivating to see your pb go up.

Having said that as the above poster said ... The key is to cut out the crap in your diet. I also think you may be overestimating your calorie maintenance because 2300 is quite a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Eat healthier (avoid crap food), exercise daily and try to put in an extraordinary amount of effort every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    You forgot about the part where you have to eat on the hour every hour otherwise your metabolism might slow down so much that you will regain all your lost fat.

no it's just a myth .

ReputationRep:
    no it's just a myth .
    Yeh well that will fit in with what you wrote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    Yeh well that will fit in with what you wrote

what do you mean ?
    I have been in fitness industry for 5 years now , I know what I'm talking about . all the advice I said were legit and proved .

ReputationRep:
    1800 calories would make it a 200 calorie deficiet as a female would it not? Either way that isn't very much exercise, you don't need to go to the gym to exercise, go for a run. Thats what I did, I run 4 times a week and since this time last year I have gone from over 15 stone to 11 stone (I'm male).

Runs don't take very long, aim for a 30 minute run to start with and if you are unfit, just walk a bit then run again once you have recovered. I recommend nhs' couch to 5k podcasts to start running. Once I finished that I worked my way towards 10km and added in high intensity interval runs, which really burn the fat, but render you a potato for a while after your run.

Now, one year later I've gone from weighing 15 stone, not being able to run for more than a minute and generally feeling crap, to weighing 11 stone, being able to run half marathons and having loads of energy and generally feeling more mobile and better.

All it takes is for you to buckle down and do it, as much as anyone says they are busy, you can always make room for 30 mins 4 times a week, even if it means waking up earlier or missing out on watching a bit of tv, if you can't do that then you don't really want it. It's hard I know that, but at the end of the day, if you want something, work damn hard for it to happen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.