Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You've Found An "Ancient" 'Iron Man'-Type Suit - What Do You Do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whilst holidaying in Ecuador, an accident occurs. You are buried in a hole underground. Some time passes. You are buried ever deeper and subsequently stumble upon what seems to be an ancient cave system.

Within these caves, there lies a single Iron Man-type suit which conforms to the laws of physics - but is of great, great advanced technology (much more advanced than anything humanity has so far produced). In short, it can do most of what the films/comics depict - within reason. (i.e. equipped with near-eternal power source, self-contained AI [which has no memory prior to being turned on] etc). Its source is forever a mystery (your doubtful theory is "ancient human-like aliens").

Additional things the suit can do:

(Bearing in mind, it's near-eons ahead of current tech - say, a few centuries)

- When you put on the suit, unknown tech somehow enables *something* within the suit to merge with your DNA (ergo, as days go by, permanently enhanced intelligence and physicality ensues - what would be deemed a "mini-evolution", something that science has previously not come across).
    The question is, What do you do now? (within reason). Would you even want to put on the suit?

(Also, be a bit thoughtful and imaginative )

Spoiler:
    Show

P.S.

Bear in mind, you cannot exit the underground system without blowing through it - only the suit can do that. Nobody else knows you're down here.

P.P.S.

Clearly you'll be able to get out of the cave easily once you put on the suit. The question is, what do you do after exiting the cave? Or would you even take a different decision - would you put on the suit? Would you feel comfortable being in control of such great power? Maybe you don't want to put it on - but then how do you exit the underground system? (You can't unless you use the suit)

Additionally, the power source also enables the suit (and the person within it) to travel into the cosmos. However, the further you go, the quicker the power source depletes and the weaker the suit becomes (i.e. you could be 10 light years from Earth or any habitable planet and your suit malfunctions, killing you instantly in space - as man cannot survive in space unprotected).

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably use the suit to get out of then cave, and then I'd give the suit to historians/physicists to conclude what they may from the discovery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    I'd probably use the suit to get out of then cave, and then I'd give the suit to historians/physicists to conclude what they may from the discovery.
    And you don't think that the government (particularly the US government) of whichever country you decide to go to, will use it to its great advantage in terms of military tech (and possibly worse things like oppression of its citizens etc)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    And you don't think that the government (particularly the US government) of whichever country you decide to go to, will use it to its great advantage in terms of military tech (and possibly worse things like oppression of its citizens etc)?
    Scientists =/= government.

The US is the biggest superpower in the world. If they wanted to oppress anyone they would have already done it without an iron man suit.

ReputationRep:
    If the US thought an Ironman suit was a plausible form of military weaponry, they'd already have developed a suit by now :lol:

ReputationRep:
    world peace, baby! (or atleast a contribution to ending ongoing conflicts) :banana:

ReputationRep:
    Keep for shenanigans

ReputationRep:
    Scientists =/= government.

The US is the biggest superpower in the world. If they wanted to oppress anyone they would have already done it without an iron man suit.
    I know scientists =/= government. But the government and everybody else would find out easily.

Also, I didn't say the US government would want to oppress anyone - I put it forward as a suggestion for any government/power.

The fact is, as I already stated, the suit is eons ahead of any current tech of humanity - ergo, it's a super-advanced weapon. Even if a country wanted to develop such a suit, it would never be up to the capability of this ancient suit which is centuries ahead.

(Original post by Felix Felicis)
    If the US thought an Ironman suit was a plausible form of military weaponry, they'd already have developed a suit by now :lol:
    See the above reply. The ancient advanced suit is way ahead of our current and near-future capabilities. As I said, even if the most powerful superpower wanted to develop such a suit, they couldn't reach the capabilities of the suit in question - because some of its tech has even been touched upon yet, let alone invented and the physics etc surrounding it hasn't even been discovered/isn't even known yet.

ReputationRep:
    I know scientists =/= government. But the government and everybody else would find out easily.

Also, I didn't say the US government would want to oppress anyone - I put it forward as a suggestion for any government/power.

The fact is, as I already stated, the suit is eons ahead of any current tech of humanity - ergo, it's a super-advanced weapon. Even if a country wanted to develop such a suit, it would never be up to the capability of this ancient suit which is centuries ahead.

See the above reply. The ancient advanced suit is way ahead of our current and near-future capabilities. As I said, even if the most powerful superpower wanted to develop such a suit, they couldn't reach the capabilities of the suit in question - because some of its tech has even been touched upon yet, let alone invented and the physics etc surrounding it hasn't even been discovered/isn't even known yet.
    If it's eons ahead then I would consider it my duty to give it up for science so we can advance technology. I trust scientists and, believe it or not, I also trust the governments of both the US and the UK.

ReputationRep:
    If it's miles ahead of what we have then I may, though probably not, give it in. Rather I'd try to learn more about it and probably fly around countries killing dictators/warlords. Maybe do some plundering of their stuff if I fancy it .

ReputationRep:
    If it's eons ahead then I would consider it my duty to give it up for science so we can advance technology. I trust scientists and, believe it or not, I also trust the governments of both the US and the UK.
    Really? But if a government wanted to use this suit in a military campaign, not only would it save lots of money, but it wouldn't require much manpower. It would be a godsend to any government conducting a military campaign. Take our current tech of drones for example - they already do what soldiers can't and save manpower and whatnot and take out high-end targets. So think of what this suit will do.

You really think the US government for example will just leave it to study and won't use it? (e.g. let's take the Korean incident seriously for a change - the US government could wrap up the situation in a jiffy. Instead of drones of its current planes and whatnot, a swift and deadly sortie could take out the DPRK headquarters, take out the generals and other high-end targets all in one day and minimise harm to the greater population - time is saved; money is saved; men are saved.)

You really think such a government would just let is be studied by scientists (which would probably take forever to study because it's decades ahead and some of its components (e.g. "unlimited" power source) don't even exist here on Earth or currently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    If it's miles ahead of what we have then I may, though probably not, give it in. Rather I'd try to learn more about it and probably fly around countries killing dictators/warlords. Maybe do some plundering of their stuff if I fancy it .
    It was quite alright until you got to this part.

As it's eons ahead, imagine if you did do the bit in bold. You would cause a "Total World War" - except every single country would be against you, not against each other, because it would be something along the lines of "saving the human race from your tyranny" - you would be deemed to dangerous, especially as you can take out entire fleets and armies with the suit.

ReputationRep:
    Bugger it, I'd sort the world out according to my fancy for a few weeks then hand it over to the UK Government.

ReputationRep:
    First thing I'd do is put it on and do an Iron Man impression.

ReputationRep:
    It was quite alright until you got to this part.

As it's eons ahead, imagine if you did do the bit in bold. You would cause a "Total World War" - except every single country would be against you, not against each other, because it would be something along the lines of "saving the human race from your tyranny" - you would be deemed to dangerous, especially as you can take out entire fleets and armies with the suit.

What? you're telling me that selfish governments who really don't give a **** about the dictators/warlords in continents like africa would care that someone went around cleaning up their(not all) mess? It's not like I'd reveal who I was or anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    What? you're telling me that selfish governments who really don't give a **** about the dictators/warlords in continents like africa would care that someone went around cleaning up their(not all) mess? It's not like I'd reveal who I was or anything.
    I just realised that you said that you'd plunder their own stuff (as in, the dictators' stuff) - my mistake, I misread! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Bugger it, I'd sort the world out according to my fancy for a few weeks then hand it over to the UK Government.
    And you'd trust the UK government with such powerful weaponry? What if they decided to lend it to allies, for example Israel?

ReputationRep:
    I just realised that you said that you'd plunder their own stuff (as in, the dictators' stuff) - my mistake, I misread! :lol:
    Haha no worries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    That's also if you're not the most wanted man in fifty countries by then and have a warrant on your head, courtesy of the International Criminal Court or the UN Security Council not ordering every country to capture you as$! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I would keep it and become Iron Man of course.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.