Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

You've Found An "Ancient" 'Iron Man'-Type Suit - What Do You Do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd keep the suit forever and occasionally use it to help people in deadly situations. I'd probably also use it to fly to North Korea and liberate its people.

ReputationRep:
    I would put it on, keep it, and attempt to figure out where it came from and how it works. Then I would make and sell gadgets based on the advanced technology so that I could become Iron Man. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Wear it for a bit, then sell it and retire to my billions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Wear it for a bit, then sell it and retire to my billions.
    It'd be worth a hell of a lot more than that! Bear in mind, I suppose you'd be selling it to actual states, not companies which would probably have to sell all of their assets (frankly sell everything) to even come close to affording to buy it!

You wouldn't want to be outsmarted now, would you!

I'd say "trillions" at the minimum and that's going into treasury amounts (i.e. actual countries), bearing in mind that the tech is eons ahead.

Personally, if I was going to go down the "sale" route, I'd lease it for billions a year - because the sale price would be so high (as the tech is so, so advanced - centuries ahead) that 2 or 3 superpowers would have to combine their treasuries to purchase it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    And you'd trust the UK government with such powerful weaponry? What if they decided to lend it to allies, for example Israel?

That's also if you're not the most wanted man in fifty countries by then and have a warrant on your head, courtesy of the International Criminal Court or the UN Security Council not ordering every country to capture you as$! :lol:
    Yeah, I trust the UK government to stay on the right side of things to be honest, more so than the US government, and whilst there are yet more stable ones, I'm not gunna hand Sweden or Norway this thing

And if it's advanced as we're imagining, it's gotta have some stealth capability, and there's no reason to think they'd ever know it was me in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Yeah, I trust the UK government to stay on the right side of things to be honest, more so than the US government, and whilst there are yet more stable ones, I'm not gunna hand Sweden or Norway this thing

And if it's advanced as we're imagining, it's gotta have some stealth capability, and there's no reason to think they'd ever know it was me in it.
    You're very correct about this.

Fine. Leave it with the UK gov. Just don't blame me when they lend it to their Israeli pals who then decide to make half of the Middle East into "New Israel" and spark a World War. :pierre:

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    You're very correct about this.

Fine. Leave it with the UK gov. Just don't blame me when they lend it to their Israeli pals who then decide to make half of the Middle East into "New Israel" and spark a World War. :pierre:

If the UK have it I can't see it going to Israel, and even if it did, why would that make a 3rd world war? We'd have this overwhelming tech advantage now plus the US on our side. Anyone who wanted to do anything couldn't, the worst that would happen is an economic war. Heck, could usher in a whole new age of peace!

Oh, and actually I've sort of revised my original plan. I reckon I might try and pass for some kind of God

ReputationRep:
    I'd put it on, go home, hide it and think about what I am going to do.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst holidaying in Ecuador, an accident occurs. You are buried in a hole underground. Some time passes. You are buried ever deeper and subsequently stumble upon what seems to be an ancient cave system.

Within these caves, there lies a single Iron Man-type suit which conforms to the laws of physics - but is of great, great advanced technology (much more advanced than anything humanity has so far produced). In short, it can do most of what the films/comics depict - within reason. (i.e. equipped with near-eternal power source, self-contained AI [which has no memory prior to being turned on] etc). Its source is forever a mystery (your doubtful theory is "ancient human-like aliens").

The question is, What do you do now? (within reason). Would you even want to put on the suit?

(Also, be a bit thoughtful and imaginative )

Spoiler:
    Show

P.S.

Bear in mind, you cannot exit the underground system without blowing through it - only the suit can do that. Nobody else knows you're down here.

P.P.S.

Clearly you'll be able to get out of the cave easily once you put on the suit. The question is, what do you do after exiting the cave? Or would you even take a different decision - would you put on the suit? Would you feel comfortable being in control of such great power? Maybe you don't want to put it on - but then how do you exit the underground system? (You can't unless you use the suit)

I would purchase some stocks with my new enhanced intelligence and make some sound investments? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    If the UK have it I can't see it going to Israel, and even if it did, why would that make a 3rd world war? We'd have this overwhelming tech advantage now plus the US on our side. Anyone who wanted to do anything couldn't, the worst that would happen is an economic war. Heck, could usher in a whole new age of peace!

Oh, and actually I've sort of revised my original plan. I reckon I might try and pass for some kind of God
    You'd think so - but think of the jealousy from countries like China and Russia and whatnot. For example, consider the analogical nukes - now everybody wants one. So, whilst many countries won't dare go up against the suit, other countries would engage in some sort of arms race and even though they won't get anywhere near the suit tech in their lifetimes (or subsequent lifetimes), they'll certainly become more deadly. Then again, indeed you could be right. Countries may just give up and realise that they're way, way out-powered.

In relation to your revised plan - you'd certainly spark off a third world war (at least initially), except in this case, all countries would be warring against you, not against each other. When everybody realises that they can't outgun or overpower you, they'll either desist and try to do a Chamberlain (i.e. appeasement) and you'll become your God-like self, or some huffing and puffing country will fire nukes at you (ensuring the destruction of half of the human race or worse - well done!) But I'm sure it'll all go well and you'll be a God on Earth.

(Original post by Emre944)
    I would purchase some stocks with my new enhanced intelligence and make some sound investments? :awesome:
    Sure, you could do that. However, if you're really after some big hard cash, you could just lease your services (e.g. become the most expensive mercenary or private soldier - e.g. £500m per job or something astronomical like that).

ReputationRep:
    You'd think so - but think of the jealousy from countries like China and Russia and whatnot. For example, consider the analogical nukes - now everybody wants one. So, whilst many countries won't dare go up against the suit, other countries would engage in some sort of arms race and even though they won't get anywhere near the suit tech in their lifetimes (or subsequent lifetimes), they'll certainly become more deadly. Then again, indeed you could be right. Countries may just give up and realise that they're way, way out-powered.

In relation to your revised plan - you'd certainly spark off a third world war (at least initially), except in this case, all countries would be warring against you, not against each other. When everybody realises that they can't outgun or overpower you, they'll either desist and try to do a Chamberlain (i.e. appeasement) and you'll become your God-like self, or some huffing and puffing country will fire nukes at you (ensuring the destruction of half of the human race or worse - well done!) But I'm sure it'll all go well and you'll be a God on Earth.

Sure, you could do that. However, if you're really after some big hard cash, you could just lease your services (e.g. become the most expensive mercenary or private soldier - e.g. £500m per job or something astronomical like that).
    Nahh, I don't wanna be a God like god. Just overwhelm them with my power, tell them I'm a traveller through space and I've seen what's happening on Earth. Spin them a tale of how my homeworld destroyed itself through war and then guide them to peace. And by guide them to peace I mean ice the SOBs that are getting in the way. I'll be a vengeful God

ReputationRep:
    I would paint it and make it look pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Nahh, I don't wanna be a God like god. Just overwhelm them with my power, tell them I'm a traveller through space and I've seen what's happening on Earth. Spin them a tale of how my homeworld destroyed itself through war and then guide them to peace. And by guide them to peace I mean ice the SOBs that are getting in the way. I'll be a vengeful God
    Ah, very good. Interesting - pretend you're an interstellar traveller....yes... :beard:

You could go further...you could really put into practice the "Mankind can only unite if threatened by an outside force" theory - but that may involve questionable tactics..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SheldonWannabe)
    I would paint it and make it look pretty.
    It's a highly sophisticated piece of machinery. It doesn't need painting.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, very good. Interesting - pretend you're an interstellar traveller....yes... :beard:

You could go further...you could really put into practice the "Mankind can only unite if threatened by an outside force" theory - but that may involve questionable tactics..

I think I'd just take the side of the West generally, and be an enforcer, but a law unto myself, so if the US start getting uppity I can slap them back down

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd just take the side of the West generally, and be an enforcer, but a law unto myself, so if the US start getting uppity I can slap them back down
    Ohhh, I'd be wary of you chap. Whilst you have good intentions, you might just become a Harvey Dent-analogue or a deranged Stark - i.e. the power may rush to your head...

ReputationRep:
    I would put it on, go search for those who made it and live with them. Life would be better.

ReputationRep:
    Also guys:

Additionally, the power source also enables the suit (and the person within it) to travel into the cosmos. However, the further you go, the quicker the power source depletes and the weaker the suit becomes (i.e. you could be 10 light years from Earth or any habitable planet and your suit malfunctions, killing you instantly in space - as man cannot survive in space unprotected).

ReputationRep:
    Also guys:
    You can't change the rules halfway through. That's cheating...

ReputationRep:
    Selfishly enjoy its technical abilities for a while (read: fly around like a moron). I might even try to enforce peace when I think no one else will (such as with the Syria situation), though I'd have to carefully consider what side(s) I fight for to ensure my actions ultimately lead to justice. Of course, it'd require me to be a killer (which would be life changing, assuming I even have what it takes), which is another factor I'd have to take into account.

I'd probably change my course to mechanical engineering or something just to better understand the tech. When all's said and done I'll probably use my knowledge to take over the world separate bits off and sneak them into various universities, to avoid it being used as a whole as a war machine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.