Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I weigh 90 kg I'm 5"11 and 19 yrs I have been lifting for about 4 weeks. How do I lose bellyfat before September? My diet is messed up . Please help , how many calories should I take per-day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)
    I weigh 90 kg I'm 5"11 and 19 yrs I have been lifting for about 4 weeks. How do I lose bellyfat before September? My diet is messed up . Please help , how many calories should I take per-day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same story - exercise more eat less.
    2500 is the recommended amount for an adult male - you're a big guy so maybe a bit more

ReputationRep:
    Keep lifting, mix in a little cardio, sort your diet out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James Lucifer)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I don't know how much body fat you have but honestly believe you should have I would say max 2000 calories a day but lower would be ideal if cutting, have at least 110 grams of protein to ensure you lose minimal muscle and hopefully gain whilst losing fat, and eat enough fats and carbs to ensure energy levels. Basically join mfp it'll make up your goals, (but severely underrate protein content so eat way more than recommended) and calorie count to make it easier, but remember a portion size on mfp doesn't always translate to the portion size you may normally eat so measure your food mass before counting.

Its good you're lifting and carry on with it, but ensure you give your muscles a rest, and on those rest days try and do some cardio, much better if you do a sport or something you enjoy but you can also run/swim and ensure you keep pushing your self with the cardio. But overall just stay patient and the results will come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Well I don't know how much body fat you have but honestly believe you should have I would say max 2000 calories a day but lower would be ideal if cutting, have at least 110 grams of protein to ensure you lose minimal muscle and hopefully gain whilst losing fat, and eat enough fats and carbs to ensure energy levels. Basically join mfp it'll make up your goals, (but severely underrate protein content so eat way more than recommended) and calorie count to make it easier, but remember a portion size on mfp doesn't always translate to the portion size you may normally eat so measure your food mass before counting.

Its good you're lifting and carry on with it, but ensure you give your muscles a rest, and on those rest days try and do some cardio, much better if you do a sport or something you enjoy but you can also run/swim and ensure you keep pushing your self with the cardio. But overall just stay patient and the results will come.
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Running around 3-5km a day for a month and you'll see a slow improvement Ie build it up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Gaining muscle whilst losing fat is very very difficult, very few people can do it so I'd focus on losing the weight first through mainly doing cardio (look up HIIT) and maybe a weights session or two a week as well as having a calorie deficit (I'd aim for about 1800 calories). Also, go on a high protein diet so you limit the muscle loss.

ReputationRep:
    intense cardio, weights, proper nutrition, no fried food, no fizzy drinks or sweets etc
    you need to burn more than you eat. also green tea is really good to help your metabolism.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2000017

Read that, I feel you'll be about 40 times better off once you've read it, need any personalised advice quote me.

ReputationRep:
    Belly fat is often the last to go, it is that stubborn. I dont know the reasons, perhaps someone could shed some light? Would be interesting to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    Belly fat is often the last to go, it is that stubborn. I dont know the reasons, perhaps someone could shed some light? Would be interesting to know.
    once i got told that its because of evolution. because there wasn't much food around, fat was stored for later and as you walked a lot and had to carry stuff in your hands it all ended up being stored as belly fat.

this kind of explains why you put on weight once you get rid of it-your body doesn't know when you will eat so it stores fat just in case

ReputationRep:
    Heard similar to the above post.

Also, I'm no expert but I heard if you're not eating enough fat (presumably healthy ones) your body will conserve what little it already has there. If you're eating the right amounts your body will allow it to be distributed more evenly.

ReputationRep:
    the way i see it is that healthy fats are easier to digest so they will not be stored. in general if you eat regularly it is easier to keep in shape as you maintain your metabolism at one level so your blood sugar level doesn't go crazy and cause you to eat a lot

ReputationRep:
    Eating fats have nothing to do with gaining fat as some people are saying. Eating more calories than you burn is what does. Also you can't specifically target one area to lose fat. Maybe you just have more fat there in proportion to the rest of your body due to your genetics. Stick to unprocessed foods without stuff like preservatives, calculate your BMR, then aim for 500 below BMI + cals burnt from exercise.

ReputationRep:
    if you lose fat, you'll do so all over your body

ReputationRep:
    do cardio- it's much better for fat loss than weights.
    Also- do not forget to sort your diet out.

ReputationRep:
    Do running with a backpack on with weights in. This not only makes it harder to run, but the pumping of your fists swivels your body which hits the core areas.

Eat better. By better, balance a diet so you are not hungry as that leads to more eating. Separate and spread your meals throughout the day. Dependent on your budget, you should look to eat 5-6 lean meals a day (get the cheap and natural stuff).

Keep at the weights. This burns the calories necessary to rid of that body fat. Compound exercises work better than isolated exercises as they have a wider punch on the fat that is stored.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.