Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, how long is typical before uttering these immortal words?

I have been guilty of blurting it out while still in the honeymoon period - weeks, rather than months, in. Feels heady at the time, particularly if reciprocated.. But all a bit hollow if it goes belly up not long after. Am I the only impulsive one?

ReputationRep:
    The moment that tip feels as hard as Mt. Everest.

In all honesty, say it when you feel it is right. I personally don't understand what 'I love you' even means - but then again, I'm just weird.

ReputationRep:
    Say it when it feels right - there's no pre-defined timeframe in which you can say "I love you". For me and my girlfriend it took about a month and a half time, but this can vary greatly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dschiefer)
    Say it when it feels right - there's no pre-defined timeframe in which you can say "I love you". For me and my girlfriend it took about a month and a half time, but this can vary greatly.
    Cool. Sort of confirms my suspicion that this usually said early on.. Rather than after a year when it might have more substance..

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you feel it, that could be within 2 months, or a year or even never. There really isn't a right span of time when to say it although I wouldn't suggest doing it too soon or else it might be a bit too much.

ReputationRep:
    I show my love through lovemaking, not words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    Cool. Sort of confirms my suspicion that this usually said early on.. Rather than after a year when it might have more substance..
    You both need to be ready for it. There's no right or wrong time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can assign one right time to it. I guess it also comes down to opinions, so I'll give mine if you want.

I personally think it takes an instant to like someone, a small period of time with them to experience strong like, care, and comfort. This period is often mistaken for love. The "honeymoon" period as you call it - I like that name . New young couples experiences adrenaline rushes when they speak to or are with their new partner, they find themselves on highs and smiling all the time. It's all new and exciting and butterflies are whizzing and you feel devastated at the thought of a breakup and the high ending - everyone dreads the come down.

But I don't think that's love. That's maybe what makes love happen. The starter, if you like. But love develops over a longer period. That genuine communal relationship where you give and give and give and expect nothing in return, all for love. When you listen to them talk about their passions, and all you can think about is how much it's making you smile, and how much you will do anything to help them achieve their dreams. When having sex really feels like you're making love, quite literally. When you don't just feel comfortable around them, but they are your best friend and you feel safe and secure. When you feel at home. When you care so much, you'd consider the extremes to help them. When they are upset, your world comes crashing down and you cry for them.

Love isn't short term. Given, it also isn't always life-long. But it is definitely a long term emotional commitment, that people don't make out of choice. When a boy or girl, man or woman rushes into saying those three words in that "honeymoon" phase out of excitement for these highs they're experiencing, 9 times out of 10 a short heated argument a few weeks later will result in a breakup and one of them blurting out "I hate them" on some irrelevant social networking site.

That isn't love. I don't want to give love a time frame to begin, because it shouldn't have those restraints. That is why I say it is possible to mean "I love you" after only a short time together. But I also personally believe it is unlikely that someone is really feeling love in that situation. It's possible that love may not develop until a few weeks, months, or even a year or more (yes!). I must add that saying love early, while it may not be truly meant at the time, isn't to say genuine love won't go on to develop later. However, if people are really fishing for a number, I'd have to give a general answer of 3-12 months. I know that's a big time frame.

I also think that people don't know love until they fall into it. The day someone realises, for example, they love their partner in a "different way" than what they've known love to be, is the day they realise all those times they've said "I love you" before have been little white lies. So, it's normal not to understand love if you've never experienced it. The same way you don't understand snow until you've lay in it and felt it for yourself.

PS I do apologise for the incredibly long, soppy post. Congrats and cheers if you actually read it. Revision's going swimmingly, as you can see.

ReputationRep:
    you could show them that you love them first otherwise it's just words

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou_100)
    I don't think you can assign one right time to it. I guess it also comes down to opinions, so I'll give mine if you want.

I personally think it takes an instant to like someone, a small period of time with them to experience strong like, care, and comfort. This period is often mistaken for love. The "honeymoon" period as you call it - I like that name . New young couples experiences adrenaline rushes when they speak to or are with their new partner, they find themselves on highs and smiling all the time. It's all new and exciting and butterflies are whizzing and you feel devastated at the thought of a breakup and the high ending - everyone dreads the come down.

But I don't think that's love. That's maybe what makes love happen. The starter, if you like. But love develops over a longer period. That genuine communal relationship where you give and give and give and expect nothing in return, all for love. When you listen to them talk about their passions, and all you can think about is how much it's making you smile, and how much you will do anything to help them achieve their dreams. When having sex really feels like you're making love, quite literally. When you don't just feel comfortable around them, but they are your best friend and you feel safe and secure. When you feel at home. When you care so much, you'd consider the extremes to help them. When they are upset, you're world comes crashing down and you cry for them.

Love isn't short term. Given, it also isn't always life-long. But it is definitely a long term emotional commitment, that people don't make out of choice. When a boy or girl, man or woman rushes into saying those three words in that "honeymoon" phase out of excitement for these highs they're experiencing, 9 times out of 10 a short heated argument a few weeks later will result in a breakup and one of them blurting out "I hate them" on some irrelevant social networking site.

That isn't love. I don't want to give love a time frame to begin, because it shouldn't have those restraints. That is why I say it is possible to mean "I love you" after only a short time together. But I also personally believe it is unlikely that someone is really feeling love in that situation. It's possible that love may not develop until a few weeks, months, or even a year or more (yes!). However, if people are really fishing for a number, I'd have to give a general answer of 3-12 months. I know that's a big time frame.

I also think that people don't know love until they fall into it. The day someone realises, for example, they love their partner in a "different way" than what they've known love to be, is the day they realise all those times they've said "I love you" before have been little white lies. So, it's normal not to understand love if you've never experienced it. The same way you don't understand snow until you've lay in it and felt it for yourself.

PS I do apologise for the incredibly long, soppy post. Congrats and cheers if you actually read it. Revision's going swimmingly, as you can see.
    That was beautiful. (nohomo) :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexh42)
    That was beautiful. (nohomo) :')
    Feeling embarrassed now.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend said it to me erm ... 2 weeks after we'd first met :erm:

We're still together a year and 2 months on and things are fine. So I guess it can depend. Naturally I was initially shocked and incredulous that he'd said it so quickly (and even he was shocked himself) but it appears that his feelings were genuine and still are.

I don't think there's a set 'time' for love to manifest.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend said it very early on and it never did us any harm, kinda took the whole build up of saying it for the first time away though which wasn't the best thing. But still, I said it back and meant it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.