Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dog barking at a swan - can I get fined? watch

ReputationRep:
    My dog managed to get into the lake whilst I was picking up her...yeah. She then saw a swan and started barking at it. I called her a few times but she ignored me and continued to bark at the swan. After a minute of calling her I decided to grab her myself, losing my shoes in the process! Some people were watching and said I could get fined a grand if my dog was seen barking at the swan...they didn't care but they just told me to keep her on the leash, which I did straight after getting her from the lake. She didn't injure the swan in any way but was just barking at it. Can I get fined for this? I'm really concerned as I don't have that kind of money.

ReputationRep:
    Fined £1000 for your dog barking at a swan? If that is a genuine rule, I don't want to live in this country anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Did they ask your name?
    Did they ask your address?
    Did they ask your phone number?

If you answered no to all of the above, you won't get fined because they don't know who you are.

If you answered yes to one, then I don't know (but I doubt it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Did they ask your name?
    Did they ask your address?
    Did they ask your phone number?

If you answered no to all of the above, you won't get fined because they don't know who you are.

If you answered yes to one, then I don't know (but I doubt it)
    Nope they were quite nice about it actually!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    Fined £1000 for your dog barking at a swan? If that is a genuine rule, I don't want to live in this country anymore.
    My thoughts exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, my dog uses to jump in to lakes and chase the ducks around in circles; she would have been far to scared to go after a swan or a goose!

I doubt that one could be fined for that. There may be a law about disturbing wildlife, but I think that you would just get kicked out the park, unless you were being malicious. Also, I don't think swans are any more protected than other animals; I think that is just a myth. They're not exactly endangered.

ReputationRep:
    According to the RSPCA:

"...the blame lies with the owner. In this case the dog owners were fined and banned from owning a dog. As wild birds, swans are protected by law under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981."

This was when a family of swans was attacked by a dog. I'm fairly certain that your dog only barking at the swans wouldn't constitute injuring/attacking, though.

Source:
    http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/wildlife/injuredanimals/successfultreatment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swist)
    I'm fairly certain that your dog only barking at the swans wouldn't constitute injuring/attacking, though.
    This guy's a goose: he knows what he's talking about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.