Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so, I've wanted a bodycon skirt for ages because I think they're really flattering and work perfectly from day to night. It's one of those ones with the elasticy bandy strips and not just a jersey one fyi.

So anyway, I like to think of myself as a classy bird and I don't really want to parade my knickers about the town, so I've been wearing it at about...knee length. The top is around my hips which is, y'know, normal for most clothes.

Since then (I started with it about mid thigh but it kept riding up), my friends have been laughing at me and I don't really understand why. I just want to look respectable but I'm beginning to think I've completely misjudged this one fashion movement. Is there really anything that wrong with a long bodycon or am I just an eejit? So confused, help please.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there is any right or wrong length, all I can think is that bodycon skirts tend to be high waisted so I'm guessing the one you bought isn't supposed to sit on the hips - but I might be wrong! Longer bodycon skirts are everywhere at the moment so I have no idea why they are laughing at you

ReputationRep:
    No I wear my ones like this. No idea why your friends are laughing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    i personally like wearing my bodycons as short as possible (while still covering my practically non existent arse) because i have issues where they fall down so if they fall down from a short length then there is a smaller risk of exposing my arse to the world. unless i run very fast when wearing a bodycon, then it falls down regardless of length. they don't make ideal gym wear.
    but if you wear it too short you might be labelled a slut or a prostitute.
    but if you wear it too long you might look like a nun or old lady.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    I don't think there is any right or wrong length, all I can think is that bodycon skirts tend to be high waisted so I'm guessing the one you bought isn't supposed to sit on the hips - but I might be wrong! Longer bodycon skirts are everywhere at the moment so I have no idea why they are laughing at you
    I thought that but I guessed the elasticated waist meant it was adjustable. I used to have to wear like, a kilt, to school so maybe it's old habits and I just need to loosen up a bit and let me legs fly free.

ReputationRep:
    I have only one body con skirt similar to the one you described and I wear it anywhere from just above my knees to short enough that my dad would make comments depending on where/when I'm wearing it who I'm with ect.

If I wore it really short to work or uni I would expect comments the same as if I wore it knee length on a night out I would feel a bit weird but really just wear it however you want.

It also feels like the best bargin ever as it was £5 on sale and because its so adjustable its pretty much more than one skirt.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to say without seeing it (and you). I tend to prefer bodycon dresses, I never wear the skirts. Whenever I see someone in a bodycon skirt and it looks good, it is short and high waisted and worn with a loose quite covering top. However it is always risky to wear them short as they are also so tight. It is possible that your skirt is meant to be worn short.
    The reason bodycon is usually worn either as a knee length dress or a short skirt is that it is more flattering - you have to be very leggy for a knee length one to look good.

ReputationRep:
    because of the shape/tightness of it, i think it's supposed to sit higher up than your knees, for example when i wear mine down to my knees it stops clinging to my skin and looks a bit silly. I don't like mine though, it rides up as soon as you start walking, so annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    It's difficult to say without seeing it (and you). I tend to prefer bodycon dresses, I never wear the skirts. Whenever I see someone in a bodycon skirt and it looks good, it is short and high waisted and worn with a loose quite covering top. However it is always risky to wear them short as they are also so tight. It is possible that your skirt is meant to be worn short.
    The reason bodycon is usually worn either as a knee length dress or a short skirt is that it is more flattering - you have to be very leggy for a knee length one to look good.
    Flowing top? You see, I'm quite, how to say it...busty and so I always preferred to accentuate these, er, assets. Classily of course. If I wear it shorter, I don't want to show off too much skin. What would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoringPezza)
    Flowing top? You see, I'm quite, how to say it...busty and so I always preferred to accentuate these, er, assets. Classily of course. If I wear it shorter, I don't want to show off too much skin. What would you suggest?
    Black tights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Black tights?
    Oh, I do wear tights with it, but it's still really short. Ah, I'm so confused! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoringPezza)
    Oh, I do wear tights with it, but it's still really short. Ah, I'm so confused! haha
    Black cycle shorts, then. I do that, and it makes me feel comfortable in pretty much any length skirt. Plus it keeps my tights up
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    There's nothing wrong with it. Personally not my cup of tea, but look here (not sure if this is what you mean, haha).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    There's nothing wrong with it. Personally not my cup of tea, but look here (not sure if this is what you mean, haha).
    Hmm, not quite. More like http://www.omgleggings.com/media/cat...201053_1_1.jpg

But black and knee length. I have this gorgeous friend that had one and I had to have it but she does admittedly wear it shorter. I wish mine was a fiver too!

ReputationRep:
    Is it this kind of shape?

This one in the pic looks long, like it should reach nearly knee-length, depending on how tall you are. If yours is shorter than that then it probably shouldn't be pulled down. Generally bodycon skirts like that are meant to be worn high-waisted. Not up to your bra, but at least just over your hips, where you start "going in" if you know what I mean. So if you are wearing it ON your hips, that might explain why your friends are laughing. I have a few and when I've tried sitting them lower down, like on my hips, first of all - they cut in really badly! So tight! And secondly it doesn't really cling to my legs all the way down to the knee, it just looks weird and a bit loose. Most bodycon skirts are not supposed to be worn knee-length though, unless it was specifically made and advertised like that, because the shape of a regular one that you've just pulled down won't look right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinzyLoo)
    Is it this kind of shape?

This one in the pic looks long, like it should reach nearly knee-length, depending on how tall you are. If yours is shorter than that then it probably shouldn't be pulled down. Generally bodycon skirts like that are meant to be worn high-waisted. Not up to your bra, but at least just over your hips, where you start "going in" if you know what I mean. So if you are wearing it ON your hips, that might explain why your friends are laughing. I have a few and when I've tried sitting them lower down, like on my hips, first of all - they cut in really badly! So tight! And secondly it doesn't really cling to my legs all the way down to the knee, it just looks weird and a bit loose. Most bodycon skirts are not supposed to be worn knee-length though, unless it was specifically made and advertised like that, because the shape of a regular one that you've just pulled down won't look right.

Ah, silly me. I guess I should laugh at myself too then! And buy a longer skirt. Whoopsies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.