Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Binding energy and mass defect in the nucleus Watch

ReputationRep:
    My physics teacher always refers to the two as if there's a causal relationship in that direction (higher binding energy -> greater mass defect) and I didn't get the chance to check this with her before the holidays. Is it correct to say a higher binding energy causes a greater mass defect in the nucleus? It makes more sense to me that it's the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    Its not so much a question of cause and effect - they are different ways of saying the same thing

binding energy = mass defect x c^2
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    YUP. Both represent inevitably the same thing. If mass defect is large, energy for joining or separating nuclear constituents will be large

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From the equation E=mc^2, you can see E is proportional to m. Therefore binding energy is proportional to mass defect.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I get that. Thanks!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.