Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I bought 2 round watermelons from tesco the other day, but when I went to eat one the next day it tasted like cucumber. I'm guessing this means it wasn't ripe. Does watermelon ripen once it's been picked from the stalk? And is there a reliable way to tell if a watermelon is ripe before cutting it open?

ReputationRep:
    I just done some googling and some websites say that they don't ripen once cut from the plant (a 'non-climacteric' fruit).

And here's a method to tell if it's ripe:

...Another question I'm always asked is how do you tell it's ripe? Well there are four ways to do this. One is sound. If you thump a watermelon and it has a dead thud sound it is ripe, if it pings then it is green. You can tell sometimes by looking for the ripe spot on the bottom. But I have seen a lot of melons that have the yellowish white ripe spot and still be green. Another way is to look at the curl closest to the melon on the vine. If the curl is dead then the melon is ripe. Then the fourth way is to put light pressure on the melon at the center. If you here a crush sound then the melon is ready. Good luck.
    Here's another quote from a website:

Look for a melon that is nice looking, meaning free of dents, bruises, cuts, etc. Check under the melon - if it has a yellow or light bottom, it should be ripe. If it's stripes are found all around the melon, pass on it. It's just not ready yet.

You may see people at the market tapping on watermelon. What exactly are they listening for? The are checking for signs of hollowness. It is sounds hollow, its ripe. Not hollow, unripe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hustler-1337)
    I just done some googling and some websites say that they don't ripen once cut from the plant (a 'non-climacteric' fruit).

And here's a method to tell if it's ripe:

Here's another quote from a website:
    Yeah, I checked a bunch of websites and got conflicting answers. It just seems odd that supermarkets would sell watermelons that aren't ripe, knowing that they're never going to ripen (unlike kiwis, bananas etc).

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Watermelon is perishable fruit if you put in the open it messes.

ReputationRep:
    The best way to check if a watermelon is ripe is to get a bunch of old clothes, some trousers and a shirt will do, stuff them with newspaper and after attaching the watermelon to the collar of the shirt, throw the lot off the top of a building.

The reactions of the people below will tell you if the mess is red enough to pass off as human head insides I.e. ripe XD

ReputationRep:
    Watermelons do taste like cucumber, that is, like nothing, or vaguely plant-flavoured water.

ReputationRep:
    Hum yer but if they are off they taste of vinegar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You tap it, and if you can feel it 'ring' its ripe.

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Watermelons do taste like cucumber, that is, like nothing, or vaguely plant-flavoured water.
    ? Watermelons are the most delicious fruit ever :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2013
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.