The Student Room Group

Help! Can't Choose which Uni to firm!

So i have three offers to study medicine in 2013, Leicester, Keele and Lancaster.
Now I know without thinking Leicester is the most prestigious medical school but as i will be 22 when starting my degree I'm a little skeptical weather ill enjoy living in and around leicester when I'm a little older, and the class sizes are large at 240 students per year. in comparision to lancaster where this will be the first year that they will be running their own course as opposed to liverpools, there class size is only 45-50 per year which would obviously mean more support etc.... I have disregarded Keele as I didn't get a great feel from the staff and the medical school itself on the day...
if anyone could help me in the decision making process i'd be much appreciative.
Thanks
David
Original post by DavidCain
So i have three offers to study medicine in 2013, Leicester, Keele and Lancaster.
Now I know without thinking Leicester is the most prestigious medical school but as i will be 22 when starting my degree I'm a little skeptical weather ill enjoy living in and around leicester when I'm a little older, and the class sizes are large at 240 students per year. in comparision to lancaster where this will be the first year that they will be running their own course as opposed to liverpools, there class size is only 45-50 per year which would obviously mean more support etc.... I have disregarded Keele as I didn't get a great feel from the staff and the medical school itself on the day...
if anyone could help me in the decision making process i'd be much appreciative.
Thanks
David

Ok, first things first, that prestige **** you started talking about? yeah, forget that. Prestige doesn't matter much in medicine, especially not between those 3 which are pretty similar anyway, were not talking oxbridge here. Anyway when you graduate and apply for foundation years the place of study doesnt matter AT ALL!

research the courses, teaching styles and visit all the campuses. i personally would chose keele out of those 3, but thats a personal choice as i loved the campus and course. everyone who comments on this will be biased as most will either go to one of those 3 or like one more than the other!

make a list of pros/cons for each med school and make a decision on that. Can you intercalate? Cadaver disection? (keele :wink: ), clinical divide? city/campus uni? things like that. look at accomodation and nightlife aswell.
Reply 2
Go to Leicester! It's a standard medical programme. Why would you go to Lancaster? (I only just realised that this is the first year they are a seperate medical school) Even so, do you want to risk somewhere new and unacredited? (Pending GMC accredidation)

What is wrong with Keele?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Palindromic
Ok, first things first, that prestige **** you started talking about? yeah, forget that. Prestige doesn't matter much in medicine, especially not between those 3 which are pretty similar anyway, were not talking oxbridge here. [\b]Anyway when you graduate and apply for foundation years the place of study doesnt matter AT ALL!

Even if we were, it still wouldn't make any bloody difference.

Performance within your cohort and whether you intercalate make far more difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Leiscter. This is because it's the only university I applied to myself and I liked the course, the structure and almost everything about it.
Reply 5
Original post by MENDACIUM
Leiscter. This is because it's the only university I applied to myself and I liked the course, the structure and almost everything about it.

What did/do you like about the course and structure?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Academically, they are all the same as at the end all will be graduates with primary medical qualification, so look for other criteria, like location, teaching method, local hospital facilities...etc.
Reply 7
Original post by carcinoma
What did/do you like about the course and structure?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I liked the fact you had a mixture between lectures and 'teamwork' activities. The lectures prepared you for the group work. I also liked the full cadeveric dissection offered there. Although i do not think it's overly advantageous, and i do feel that using models, computers, imaging are better ways to learn, i do find the idea of dissection more liberating. I also liked early patient contact, the pastoral support offered at lesicter.
Thanks
David
Leicester!!!!! As you mentioned, It is the most prestigious medical school!
Thanks
David
Just for reference, would you post your decision here (after you made one) in order to help anyone to make their decision in the future, please! :smile:
Reply 10
Hi thank you for all of your replies! I firmed Leicester mainly on the course structure being integrated and not pbl. As I feel that I would need a more structured course than that of what the pbl offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending