Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would happen if the largest nuke ever (Tzar Bomba) was dropped on New York? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What would be the extent of the damage? How about if Russia hit LA instead?

ReputationRep:
    NY: Great World War III + Financial Crisis
    LA: Great World War III + less ****ty movies

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, the President and his cabinet would not be in either cities. If the damage is only contained to those cities and not too far out, it would be catastrophic. However, since Washington and most of the country would still be intact, the repercussions would be deadly for the attacking country (i.e. Russia). However, that's to pass over the fact that the aftermath could spread to the rest of the country/rest of the coasts.

Even if the President dies, there is an emergency chain of command and emergency locations and plans for such occurrences and circumstances. Nevertheless, the economic and general effects will be reverberated across the planet. China probably wouldn't be too happy too that their biggest trading partner has been devastated. But then again, it's highly unlikely that Russia would ever attack the United States. Globalism rules supreme these days and is intertwined with greed and capitalism. Hence why countries like North Korea and Iran are a "threat" because their not full partakers in globalism (i.e. "they're not drinking with us - they're so antisocial") - this is why they're "bad".

This is why the immigration debate is amusing - people against it do not understand "globalism". Such an age of globalism ensures more profit, more cash, more riches. A country which isolates itself will be "bad"; those who partake will be "good" etc. Countries like North Korea, funnily enough, may actually be one of the last "free" countries - as in, free from all-pervading globalism.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    probably would destroy more than just new york

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    What would be the extent of the damage? How about if Russia hit LA instead?
    well the extent of the damage is easily calculable.... The Tzhar Bomba has the explosive power of 50 megatons of TNT so it would destroy, burn or melt everything in the blast radius:

4 miles if it explodes in the air
    7 miles if it explodes on the surface of the ground
    2-3 miles if it explodes under ground or water

also, anyone within a 80-mile radius would be exposed to untold amounts of gamma, alpha and beta radiation so they'd burn in seconds if their skin was fully exposed....

so to answer your question, the tens of millions of people that live in New York would be doomed if a Tzhaar Bomba was dropped on them.

Edit: I'm talking about new york city, the state of new York will be mostly intact

ReputationRep:
    I would be vapourised, since I'm going to New York next week.

...And the world would breathe a sigh of relief

ReputationRep:
    Well it would wipe out Doncaster to Conventry, if detonated in Nottingham (zoom out): http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?l...m=11&kt=100000

ReputationRep:
    In seriousnesss, I'd sit in my chair and cry my eyes out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Well it would wipe out Doncaster to Conventry, if detonated in Nottingham (zoom out): http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?l...m=11&kt=100000
    If a nuclear bomb was dropped on Nottingham there would be millions of pounds worth of improvements done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Team.)
    In seriousnesss, I'd sit in my chair and cry my eyes out.
    I feel that this may not be the most significant consequence of the attack.

ReputationRep:
    Type New York into this and find out:

http://www.nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Hours of amusement!

ReputationRep:
    And then I realise this has already been said... several times... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norton1)
    If a nuclear bomb was dropped on Nottingham there would be millions of pounds worth of improvements done.
    They'd be doing us a favour

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.