Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm just wondering can you have public access into the UEA library?

I go to a different uni, and have loads of work over this easter, but forgot to get books for one of my assignments, and I live close to the UEA and am wondering if I could spend a day there

Thanks to anyone who knows!

ReputationRep:
    Also, would I be able to get internet access from my laptop?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think you can go into the building for free on a day pass, you just have to ask the people at reception to let you in. As for the wi-fi, I think you might need to have a UEA account to use it - seem to recall spending some time setting the technology on an early visit. I'm afraid you probably won't be able to the use the PCs, the network, the printers or borrow books without a card though. If you want to get a regular access card then you'll need to pay at least £10, more info is here: http://www.uea.ac.uk/is/campuscardsitaccounts/other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WdA04)
    Hey,

I'm just wondering can you have public access into the UEA library?

I go to a different uni, and have loads of work over this easter, but forgot to get books for one of my assignments, and I live close to the UEA and am wondering if I could spend a day there

Thanks to anyone who knows!
    While it won't help this time, when you get back to your uni, ask about SCONUL at your uni library. This should get you a card to access pretty much any uni library in the uk

ReputationRep:
    Most Uni libraries are fine with this - you usually just show your own Uni ID card and they will let you through any security barrier. The only likely No to this will come in Exam Season (May/June) when all libraries are usually crammed full. You can get SCONUL card but in my experience you dont actually need it.

You wont have borrowing rights - to get this you have to pay a fee to be a 'public member'. But this isnt usually enormous and is worth doing if you know, for instance, you'll use the library all summer to work on a dissertation. But otherwise, you can use all resources available for reference.

You wont be able to get onto the Uni's own internet access. unless you have access to the system called EDUROAM (https://www.eduroam.org/). This allows you access to almost any Uni iternet for free both in the UK and overseas. Ask your home Uni IT folk about it and they can install/check the bit of free software you need on your laptop to access it. With eduroam you can pick up free internet access in *any* Uni building with wifi. Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisawhitmore)
    While it won't help this time, when you get back to your uni, ask about SCONUL at your uni library. This should get you a card to access pretty much any uni library in the uk

(Original post by returnmigrant)
    Most Uni libraries are fine with this - you usually just show your own Uni ID card and they will let you through any security barrier. The only likely No to this will come in Exam Season (May/June) when all libraries are usually crammed full. You can get SCONUL card but in my experience you dont actually need it.

You wont have borrowing rights - to get this you have to pay a fee to be a 'public member'. But this isnt usually enormous and is worth doing if you know, for instance, you'll use the library all summer to work on a dissertation. But otherwise, you can use all resources available for reference.

You wont be able to get onto the Uni's own internet access. unless you have access to the system called EDUROAM (https://www.eduroam.org/). This allows you access to almost any Uni iternet for free both in the UK and overseas. Ask your home Uni IT folk about it and they can install/check the bit of free software you need on your laptop to access it. With eduroam you can pick up free internet access in *any* Uni building with wifi. Highly recommended.

(Original post by Eloquai)
    I think you can go into the building for free on a day pass, you just have to ask the people at reception to let you in. As for the wi-fi, I think you might need to have a UEA account to use it - seem to recall spending some time setting the technology on an early visit. I'm afraid you probably won't be able to the use the PCs, the network, the printers or borrow books without a card though. If you want to get a regular access card then you'll need to pay at least £10, more info is here: http://www.uea.ac.uk/is/campuscardsitaccounts/other.
    Cool thanks people!

Yeah my uni has an eduroam network so that's pretty neat!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.