Turn on thread page Beta

just wondering how much , if any, people have saved up for uni? i have saved a bit from wages etc but was quite shocked how many of my friends, even with jobs, appear not to have even thought about it! so..

ReputationRep:
    (Checks money tin) 1.87
    I'll wing it though.

ReputationRep:
    my rents didnt want me to work so that i could concentrate on my studies,

i'm getting a monthly allowance of 400 quid excluding accomodation. will this be enough for living in london ?

ReputationRep:
    i have quite a bit saved up if i told you tho, i would have to kill you

ReputationRep:
    i had saved roughly £5000 when i left for uni. that was just from saving a bit each month from my saturday job throughout 6th form and doing a few extra hours during the 3 summers (end of yr 11, 12, 13) although i did basically work full time the last august and that bumped it up a bit..

i needed to save this money up as the only thing my parents would pay for was the tutittion fees (understandable...its my education) & so all of my £3000 loan + a little more goes on accodation each year & i have to live off what i have saved up..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    just wondering how much , if any, people have saved up for uni? i have saved a bit from wages etc but was quite shocked how many of my friends, even with jobs, appear not to have even thought about it! so..
    Not a thing. Cheers dad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theycallmemrpig)
    my rents didnt want me to work so that i could concentrate on my studies,

i'm getting a monthly allowance of 400 quid excluding accomodation. will this be enough for living in london ?

geez, living the high life or what??

ReputationRep:
    I saved up £1500 but have only spent £50 of it so far (I'm unbelivably stingy - I pay all my accommodation and fees and everything out of my Student Loan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I saved up £1500 but have only spent £50 of it so far (I'm unbelivably stingy - I pay all my accommodation and fees and everything out of my Student Loan)

then how do you live..? surely you cant get all your accom + fees + food + life from the loan...even if you do have max £4000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stu673)
    then how do you live..? surely you cant get all your accom + fees + food + life from the loan...even if you do have max £4000
    Yup. I was brought up in a very strict-budget household. I can do living on the cheap with ease.

ReputationRep:
    My plan was to start saving on the 1st of January, unfortunatley the hotel trade at this time of year is well....****. As well as conferences, business breakfasts/lunches and wedding dinners etc.

Due to this I have £5...this is going towards my dad's birthday present on Saturday...I will dig flowers up from a neighbour's garden for Mother's Day. I don't know how I'm getting to college tomorrow....or how I'm getting to London on Thursday

Not to mention I'm going on the French Exchange on the 1st of April and unfortunatley...I still don't have any fecking cash,

HOWEVER. I finish in May and have signed up for some clinical trials etc and mystery shopping as well as the industry totally picks up due to our festival where I live (Unfortunatley placed on the same weekend as Reading)

So there's hope for me yet

ReputationRep:
    As long as I have enough cash to go to the occasional gig (i don't have to worry about drinks money because it's all free backstage), smoked salmon (£2 in tesco!), Philadelphia (£1.59) the occasional block of hallumi and enough tea bags and coke to last.
    I will be fine

ReputationRep:
    hmmm.i have saved £1500 myself but i need some of that for paying off the rest of my kenya expedition. then i need money to buy glastonbury ticket (thats easy actually) and poss a friends holiday.

But then i've yet to have my 18th, il prob just ask for money then so...

and i got a cheque for 3 grand from a set of grandparents, i'm going to halve it and use a one half for uni, other halve for traveling purposes after uni

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who is practically cut-off financially after their 18th birthday?!

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who is practically cut-off financially after their 18th birthday?!
    My parent's just scowled when I suggested they lend me money for accomodation seeing as it was more than the biggest student loan I could get.

I think I need to tidy my room so they can sell the house in order to get the cash to lend me.

Or they hate me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    My parent's just scowled when I suggested they lend me money for accomodation seeing as it was more than the biggest student loan I could get.

I think I need to tidy my room so they can sell the house in order to get the cash to lend me.

Or they hate me
    Come off it, it could never be the latter...

Oh yeah my dad might buy me a season ticket for United games, woohoo!!! But I'll miss the August games

ReputationRep:
    I have £6000 odd saved up of my own and my parents are going to chip in whatever they can. I think I'm gonna get what rent my brother has to pay to live at my parents which is about £250 a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    I have £6000 odd saved up of my own and my parents are going to chip in whatever they can. I think I'm gonna get what rent my brother has to pay to live at my parents which is about £250 a month.
    Thats pretty steep to say he's living at home isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    cheaper than him moving out. if i have kids in full time work they'll be paying rent :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    FOod, washing, cleaning etc included. Working full time. Sounds good to me.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.