Turn on thread page Beta

how much have you saved for uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    It has *real* interest, I think (so it goes up with the rate of inflation and you pay back what you borrowed in real terms). You don't have to pay it back until you earn a certain amount but I believe you have to fill forms in to postpone it and some people got confused and ended up paying back too early because they didn't read properly!

£12000 is bad enough, I'm just glad I won't have to eat into my bank overdraft or any credit cards.

Fees = £1000 a year
    Accommodation = £1000 a year
    Other stuff = £2000 a year
    Summer income = hoping to earn around £1000
    how did you get your accomodation so cheap.. mine is 3300 for a catered hall. Wish I had your discipline with spending £35 a week cos mine is closer to £60-70 inlcuding everything like xmas presetns for my family, books, transport and food etc

so i reckon i spend

3300 on rent
    1800 on living expenses and everything for a 30 week term
    (3120 if i do that when i'm at home as well but that figure is too scary so i'm ignoring it)

So i need just over £5000 a year for university

I get a £4000 loan and try to earn about 1500 from holiday work adn then get about £200 from both easter and xmas holls. So hopefully this year i won't need to go into my overdrat but i'm feeling a bit broke this week cos i had to give a £100 deposit for next years rent (staying in halss again) and a £60 quid ball ticket.

(Original post by emom100)
    how did you get your accomodation so cheap.. mine is 3300 for a catered hall. Wish I had your discipline with spending £35 a week cos mine is closer to £60-70 inlcuding everything like xmas presetns for my family, books, transport and food etc
    lol, maybe everyone should share their frugal tips to help students struggling with their spending!

what uni are you at emom?

ReputationRep:
    Since I'm (liek my mate) going to Marjons in the same city I'm living at home = no rent, phone, tv, food, washing bills.

Plus my rents are planning on going away a lot.

I'll be workign for my dad, fixing building computers 4 hours a week and I'll be getting £100 for tution fees a month & £200 for living fees.

Plus I'm hopefully workin in Eurocamp this summer... getting paid £102 a week for 8 weeks, with flights and accomedation inculded and I'm hoping to save half of that. So hopefully about £400 for Freshers week p*ss ups!

ReputationRep:
    I saved up 2 grand, but spent 1k on a laptop and a guitar.. oops

ReputationRep:
    £1300, but I have to pay for my motorbike and car, and actually do my test for my car! Damn. Anybody know any good places to train with in Manchester? That isn't overly expensive?

ReputationRep:
    i'm earning quite a lot of money now (>1000 pre tax), tho it's all gone on random things...... 2 months later, i have barely anything to show for it...
    and i thought i'd be able to save up loads for uni!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.