Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have Generalised Anxiety Disorder. It can really affect my breathing and I've had periods of several months where I've been hyperventilating all the time, getting constant chest pain and headaches. I don't get it on a regular basis any more. However it can be really problematic when exercising. When I'm running, I start to panic when it feels like I'm exerting myself and I can't stop breathing through my chest. Because of that I get sharp pains in my chest, numbness in my fingers and I start to feel like I'm going to faint. It's not just irritating, it's painful as well. I'm worried it'll really affect my health.

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to prevent this happening?

Thanks
    - Lu

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lu, although I don't have a general anxiety issue now, I remember when I first had a panic attack years ago when I was running and for months afterwards whenever I went running I would get that familiar feeling again and it was very worrying! I think for me I knew it was a simple case of association, a cycle which needed to be broken, so I began adding distractions to my workouts for a while until it eventually subsided altogether. Try taking things down a notch, running with friends, zombie running, jogging and chatting to take your mind off it. But be sure to keep telling yourself that this type of hyperventilation is usually caused by your worry first! ...I used to tell myself that breathing is a completely unconscious process that you don't need to be thinking out in the first place!! Lol... I completely sympathise with your situation but apart from advising you to talk to your GP (always good advice) then I would say find lots of things to take your mind off it. Good luck x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.