Should the death penalty be bought back in the UK? Watch

Arguments for, and against. GO!
    #deathpenalty #microdebate
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Maybe. #indecisive

(Original post by Dez)
    Maybe. #indecisive
    It would definitely solve re-offender problems. The real question is how good is the #uklegalsystem

ReputationRep:
    Who would we buy it from?

ReputationRep:
    No. The evidence that is works as a deterrence in comparison to a life sentence is scant at best.

Even if we ignore that issue, I wouldn't want the Government to hold that sort of power over citizens.

Too many Governments abuse their roles when extraordinary powers are given to them (IE Patriot Act) and I have no inclination to hand over the power for them to kill me.

ReputationRep:
    No. Why are criminals sub-human?

ReputationRep:
    Possibility of killing an innocent person #nogoingback

ReputationRep:
    Capital punishment is more about revenge than justice. A society shouldn't be based on revenge.

#idontreallyknowwhathashtagsmean

ReputationRep:
    What are people's opinions on the matter if it could 100% be proved that they committed the crime?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    And if you kill someone innocent? Then what would you do #injustice

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    What are people's opinions on the matter if it could 100% be proved that they committed the crime?
    How would you be 100% certain?

(Original post by cpdavis)
    And if you kill someone innocent? Then what would you do #injustice

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone App
    Time machine! #technologyftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    Even still no. To punish someone by killing them is an act of vengeance. Society shouldn't be based on things like vengeance. We shouldn't let the worst of us drag the rest down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut2456)
    How would you be 100% certain?

Time machine! #technologyftw
    I don't know, as you said, maybe a time machine! But instead of travelling back it just allows us to see what happened.

(Original post by Jacob :))
    Even still no. To punish someone by killing them is an act of vengeance. Society shouldn't be based on things like vengeance. We shouldn't let the worst of us drag the rest down.
    Tbh, I wouldn't have them killed but I would have them as involuntary volunteers for testing in things like Pharmaceutical research whilst giving them a lifetime at prison, why should innocent animals be treated worse than humans who behave worse than the worst of animals? Their humans rights should vanish the moment the violate that of someone else's.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, HRA 1998 states it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiska)
    I don't know, as you said, maybe a time machine! But instead of travelling back it just allows us to see what happened.

Tbh, I wouldn't have them killed but I would have them as involuntary volunteers for testing in things like Pharmaceutical research whilst giving them a lifetime at prison, why should innocent animals be treated worse than humans who behave worse than the worst of animals? Their humans rights should vanish the moment the violate that of someone else's.
    Watch minority report. Even that isn't a certain method

So you would propose something potentially worse than the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut2456)
    Watch minority report. Even that isn't a certain method

So you would propose something potentially worse than the death penalty.
    Watched it! It was really good!

I am not proposing seeing into the future so we can prevent a crime, I am talking about being able to look back into the past with no control over what happened.

Murderers, rapists and Prisoners have it too easy, they did not give two craps about others' human rights, why should we respect theirs? Testing medicines on humans will only help advance the medicine available to us. I don't want this treatment for all prisoners as some can change, such as thieves.

Knowing all these crazy tests 'may' be done to them instead of having an easy life in prison watching tv and eating good food will deter all kinds of criminals. Imagine if the Sandy Hook killer was alive, would you be happy knowing he's going to bed happy every night enjoying a carefree life whilst those families are absolutely destroyed?

It just isn't right :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's the easy way out and not really justice.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. i like to think that no one should be able to end anyone life, be it a criminal or government. capital punishment is revenge.

ReputationRep:
    It would be too inconsistent I think

ReputationRep:
    Just as a point - why is the possibility of killing someone innocent (painlessly) more abhorrent than life-imprisoning someone innocent?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.