Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How far would u guys go for your wants that is against your religion and conscience? Half of the time, im in a battlefield in my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It would depend on what I understood God to think about it and whether I agreed with what my denomination teaches on the matter :yes:

Could you perhaps give an example and tell us which religion you are? I'm Catholic for example, so there's no point me telling you all about Catholic theology if you're Muslim or some other religion/denomination :nah:

Edit: Having thought more about your question, I tend to go with my conscience, which is shaped by my religious beliefs but not dictated by them :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jellybeansnkmk)
    How far would u guys go for your wants that is against your religion and conscience? Half of the time, im in a battlefield in my head.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As long as I'm not sinning, it's all good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    It would depend on what I understood God to think about it and whether I agreed with what my denomination teaches on the matter :yes:

Could you perhaps give an example and tell us which religion you are? I'm Catholic for example, so there's no point me telling you all about Catholic theology if you're Muslim or some other religion/denomination :nah:
    I'm a muslim. But a rather liberal one.. But lately i've been getting into situations that makes me want to do things which i'm not supposed to. Pretty much know what is right from wrong in terms of religion but i feel like there are things that i should just experience. Once at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm a muslim. But a rather liberal one.. But lately i've been getting into situations that makes me want to do things which i'm not supposed to. Pretty much know what is right from wrong in terms of religion but i feel like there are things that i should just experience. Once at least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :console: It can be hard to know what is the right thing to do. I edited by post just as you were writing to me, to say that I tend to go with my conscience, which is shaped but not dictated by my religious beliefs as a Catholic. It's all about asking myself, "can I live with the feeling and consequences that go with this? Do I think I'm going to Hell for this?" If the answer is yes to the first question and no to the second, then I figure I'm good to go

ReputationRep:
    This stinks. Cos i have conscience so huge that it usually eats me up. 😕 But i really am a person who thinks life is about experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This stinks. Cos i have conscience so huge that it usually eats me up. But i really am a person who thinks life is about experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you sure you're not being overscrupulous about whatever it is that is bothering you? :hugs:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm a muslim too, my way of thinking is unless in the Qu'ran it says don't do it, or if your parents have said don't do it, then it should be okay.. For example, I would kiss someone and maybe go a little further, but sex is definitely off the cards, so is drinking

ReputationRep:
    Religion is meant to add substance and meaning to your life. All people are challenged by their faith and everyone will at some point give into temptation and sin. We are all human, I'm sure God will be capable of forgiving us for our sins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Are you sure you're not being overscrupulous about whatever it is that is bothering you? :hugs:
    Pretty sure im not being scrupulous. Maybe it's just me. Seems like everyone is fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by a 'want' being against your 'conscience'?

Or is it just a synonym for religion in this respect..

ReputationRep:
    It helps me knowing why the Bible says to do/not do something. I know that the basic idea is to encourage and support my relationship with God and other people. So if I want to do something, but Bible's saying no, I try to look at whether the thing I want to do is in the best interests of this bigger principle. (Notice I said try. Sometimes I do not succeed!) Sometimes even if a 'rule' in the Bible seems outdated, the principle behind it is still sound. E.g. there's one about not mixing fabrics which sounded bizarre until my friend in Textiles explained to me that if you weave two different kinds of fabrics together they're really hard to separate and use again in the future. Basically Bible endorsing recycling, which was a surprise!

For example if I wanted to get with a guy, I've got to think about how my actions affect him as well as myself. Am I using him because I just want to feel special or do I actually want the best for him too?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.