Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My first exam is on 14 May (USA History). I have been making notes on it for the past two weeks. About two hours each night, but has neglected my ther subjects so tomorrow I have devised a revision plan covering all subjects.

is six weeks enough to revise? I plan on starting tomorrow, exactly 6 weeks before my first exam. I know it's too late, but could I achieve ABB with only 6 weeks revision? I am getting As and Bs in History and Politics and Bs and Cs in English Lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by specter.harvey)
    My first exam is on 14 May (USA History). I have been making notes on it for the past two weeks. About two hours each night, but has neglected my ther subjects so tomorrow I have devised a revision plan covering all subjects.

is six weeks enough to revise? I plan on starting tomorrow, exactly 6 weeks before my first exam. I know it's too late, but could I achieve ABB with only 6 weeks revision? I am getting As and Bs in History and Politics and Bs and Cs in English Lit.
    If you are revising correctly then it is ample time. With that time you will probably be able to get AAA+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    If you are revising correctly then it is ample time. With that time you will probably be able to get AAA+.
    What is "correct" revising? I made a thread about my revision plan, could you take a look?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Just revise your butt of basically throughout the day and don't get distracted!

ReputationRep:

That's plenty of time to get what you want or even better. But quality revision will always win over quantity of revision. Do make notes if it helps you learn but I'd always try to focus on exam technique to improve my score as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    yes six weeks is enough, it will take some hard work though. Perhaps post a pic of your revision plan? maybe I could offer more help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awilson008)
    That's plenty of time to get what you want or even better. But quality revision will always win over quantity of revision. Do make notes if it helps you learn but I'd always try to focus on exam technique to improve my score as much as possible.
    I agree that it's ample time!
    two weeks revision per exam = definite As in my opinion! That is, if you are actually revising.

ReputationRep:
    What is "correct" revising? I made a thread about my revision plan, could you take a look?
    Yeah just looked at your plan! I like your ambition to get to oxford. Use that as a driver to help you stick to your plan! If you stick to that you will surely get AAA provided there is no major catastrophe! Good luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    yes six weeks is enough, it will take some hard work though. Perhaps post a pic of your revision plan? maybe I could offer more help
    I have outlined it on a previous thread Do you mean hard work as in catching up, or just hard work to revise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Yeah just looked at your plan! I like your ambition to get to oxford. Use that as a driver to help you stick to your plan! If you stick to that you will surely get AAA provided there is no major catastrophe! Good luck with it!
    That's the reason I am aiming high! But I'd need to get AAA for Oxford Possible I suppose!

ReputationRep:

I got USA history (and russian revolution on the 14th) just nail exam technique and content and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I have outlined it on a previous thread Do you mean hard work as in catching up, or just hard work to revise?
    yeah hard work as in catching up, if you link the thread I'll be able to take a look at your plan

ReputationRep:
    With 6 weeks you should be getting AAA minimum [srs].

This year I've been a total slob at uni. Left myself 6 weeks for 8 exams!

Still confident about 2;1 minimum with 4 weeks left

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BC95)
    yeah hard work as in catching up, if you link the thread I'll be able to take a look at your plan
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2305789

(Original post by Robbie242)
    I got USA history (and russian revolution on the 14th) just nail exam technique and content and you should be fine
    What did you get in your history USA mock? Is ir AQA 1890-1945?

ReputationRep:
    That's plenty if time to get the results you're aspiring to, if not better. All I would say about quality revision is do loads of past papers. I mean that. Notes are good and all, but to get the very best results, just do all the past papers you can get hold of. If you do one a week for each exam from now to whenever your exam is, you'll do fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KC003)
    That's plenty if time to get the results you're aspiring to, if not better. All I would say about quality revision is do loads of past papers. I mean that. Notes are good and all, but to get the very best results, just do all the past papers you can get hold of. If you do one a week for each exam from now to whenever your exam is, you'll do fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Under timed conditions, etc? I have purchased a load of Phillip Allan revision guides for each subject a I am reading some books about Chairman Mao, US Election 1912 and Roosevelt and Wilson's Destruction of Constitutional Freedom for history to get some extra knowledge! Is it true putting interesting facts in an essay makes the examiner happy? Like theysay in the history boys?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2305789

What did you get in your history USA mock? Is ir AQA 1890-1945?
    Aha no! sorry 1940-1968 :L

ReputationRep:
    Under timed conditions, etc? I have purchased a load of Phillip Allan revision guides for each subject a I am reading some books about Chairman Mao, US Election 1912 and Roosevelt and Wilson's Destruction of Constitutional Freedom for history to get some extra knowledge! Is it true putting interesting facts in an essay makes the examiner happy? Like theysay in the history boys?
    I have to be honest, I don't take history! But my school does put a huge amount of pressure on us to get good results and we've had a lot of outside speakers come in to talk to us about revision techniques and how to get the best results.

Putting interesting facts in makes the examiner happy, but doesn't get you any extra marks. If there's any that particularly stick in your mind, then thats's great, but don't go out of your way to actually remember loads.

All I mean is go onto the exam board website and just print off the past papers from the last few years. Do the first 2 or 3 without exam conditions. Give yourself as long as you need and have all your notes there. With your essay subjects, do the same thing, but write it with your notes in front of you. Write what you know without them, then use them to put in the bits you're still not confident with. Doing this means it's showing you what areas you're still struggling with, and applying your notes to exam questions helps you remember them.

Do all the rest under exam conditions, then mark them according to the mark scheme, and then re-revise where you lost marks.

The final thing you then need to do us go back and do the past papers/essays that you did at the start with your notes. Go back and do them without your notes, and hopefully, you'll find that everything you needed your notes for at the start, will just come naturally without them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thing with revision is that it's never too late to revise. I wouldn't overdo the revision with a full time table because you will burn yourself out. Study a few hours a day and make time for sports or a walk or something - maybe watch a movie or something. DONT revise 9-5 7 days a week for the next 6 weeks - that is just a recipe for disaster.

As for the grades, you'll get that or higher if you are in the right frame of mind, have revised adequately and have a bit of luck. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    For AS, I had Bio unit 1, bio unit 2, chem unit 2, physics unit 1, core 2, and statistics 1 in june. I started revision on the very first day of April. My first exam last year was may 16th. I revised everyday, non stop for about 5 or 6 hours every day, because I had to start from scratch (I didn't start my revision until April 1st). I got AAAB. I'm pretty sure that you could too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.