Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of anything still available to apply for?

I've been rejected from pretty much everything.
    Or placed on the "If anything comes up we'll get back to you but we're not full sorry even though you applied back in September we've left it till march to tell you this you ****" sort of thing.

Really wanted anything to do with IBD but now I don't care, I will take anything to do with finance.

Cheers

Jeester

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    Does anyone know of anything still available to apply for?

I've been rejected from pretty much everything.
    Or placed on the "If anything comes up we'll get back to you but we're not full sorry even though you applied back in September we've left it till march to tell you this you ****" sort of thing.

Really wanted anything to do with IBD but now I don't care, I will take anything to do with finance.

Cheers

Jeester
    it's up to cold calling/emailing now i reckon. though even that is geting late. I managed to get two through cold emailing which then lead to interviews. one at an M&A boutique, the other a hedge fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lar di da)
    it's up to cold calling/emailing now i reckon. though even that is geting late. I managed to get two through cold emailing which then lead to interviews. one at an M&A boutique, the other a hedge fund.
    Wow,never really thought of cold calling! Is it just like "Hi, can I speak to your recruitment team please? I'm looking for an internship over summer!" jobbie?

ReputationRep:
    Wow,never really thought of cold calling! Is it just like "Hi, can I speak to your recruitment team please? I'm looking for an internship over summer!" jobbie?
    I guess if your phone and ask to talk to HR/recruitment. Often I guess they will say "I don't know, email us your CV".

But this is better than just emailing because at least someone is hopefully aware that it is being sent and knows a little bit more what you are looking for.

I managed to get an internship now, but I heard back from two smaller companies who I phoned and was told to email my CV. One of them didn't do internships (but still got back to me) and the other wants to meet up for a chat.

This was for engineering firms, but same must apply for all smaller companies?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagiva)
    I guess if your phone and ask to talk to HR/recruitment. Often I guess they will say "I don't know, email us your CV".

But this is better than just emailing because at least someone is hopefully aware that it is being sent and knows a little bit more what you are looking for.

I managed to get an internship now, but I heard back from two smaller companies who I phoned and was told to email my CV. One of them didn't do internships (but still got back to me) and the other wants to meet up for a chat.

Good luck
    Yup what Cagiva said.

Obviously not as simple as "Hi, can I speak to your recruitment team please? I'm looking for an internship over summer!" And actually one thing to do is make sure you DON'T speak to HR. They are the ones who say no.

e.g one of the firms I applied for. I sent an email to HR, and sent exactly the same email to a managing director as well.
    HR said they didn't have any spaces - they're useless.
    Managing director said that they might be able to use a summer intern and that i should come in for an interview.

Voila. Send out loads to the right people and you might get one or 2 replies which is good enough.

But keep it informal and maybe another trick is not to just ask for a summer job where you simply learn from them and don't give anything back. But also ask for maybe a part time job that you could continue during your studies. That's what I'm doing anyway and its working out. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cagiva)

Good luck

(Original post by lar di da)
    Yup what Cagiva said.

Obviously not as simple as "Hi, can I speak to your recruitment team please? I'm looking for an internship over summer!" And actually one thing to do is make sure you DON'T speak to HR. They are the ones who say no.

e.g one of the firms I applied for. I sent an email to HR, and sent exactly the same email to a managing director as well.
    HR said they didn't have any spaces - they're useless.
    Managing director said that they might be able to use a summer intern and that i should come in for an interview.

Voila. Send out loads to the right people and you might get one or 2 replies which is good enough.

But keep it informal and maybe another trick is not to just ask for a summer job where you simply learn from them and don't give anything back. But also ask for maybe a part time job that you could continue during your studies. That's what I'm doing anyway and its working out. Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the replies guys! I am definitely going to get on this!

ReputationRep:
    I managed to get an internship at a smaller investment management firm this way as well. Check out the firm's website and try to find the right persons email, not the HR. Send a nice email with your CV and hope for the best even though it might be a bit late now.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.