Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, i just wanted to ask a question about this sentence I read:

"If n is not a positive integer, i.e it is fractional or negative, then the series is infinite and the expansion will only be valid for |x|<1 "

Where n is the power eg (1+x)^n

I understand why the series will be infinite, but why will the expansion only be valid for |x|<1 ??

Thanks if you can help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    Hey there, i just wanted to ask a question about this sentence I read:

"If n is not a positive integer, i.e it is fractional or negative, then the series is infinite and the expansion will only be valid for |x|<1 "

Where n is the power eg (1+x)^n

I understand why the series will be infinite, but why will the expansion only be valid for |x|<1 ??

Thanks if you can help
    Look at the individual terms. Imagine x = 2. The terms in the expansion would get larger and larger so the series would diverge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Look at the individual terms. Imagine x = 2. The terms in the expansion would get larger and larger so the series would diverge.
    Ahh I didn't see the problem with that until now - the series MUST be finite, right? If the series is infinite, the binomial expansion will not work?
    Well, won't be valid at least
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I didn't see the problem with that until now - the series MUST be finite, right? If the series is infinite, the binomial expansion will not work?
    Well, won't be valid at least
    It will if |x| < 1 as the terms become increasingly small and less significant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    It will if |x| < 1 as the terms become increasingly small and less significant.
    Oh yeah, but in that case you can treat it like a finite series because it converges, yes?
    Thanks for your help it's clicked I just like to understand exactly what's going on and why, even if my questions come across as stupid/irrelevant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, but in that case you can treat it like a finite series because it converges, yes?
    Thanks for your help it's clicked I just like to understand exactly what's going on and why, even if my questions come across as stupid/irrelevant
    You can't "treat it like a finite series" because it isn't - it's an infinite series!

What you can say is that because the terms get smaller and smaller, if you stop after a certain point then you can get the answer to any desired accuracy.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.