Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Cardio vs Weights Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are people more interested in, and why? Do they prefer to do weights over cardio, vice versa, or a combination of the two? (When I say a combination I do not mean 10-20 minutes before/after weights)

ReputationRep:
    Im a boy so weights obviously.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I prefer cardio over weights, but I do a lot of cycling so my main focus will always be on maintaining stamina. I also do a wee bit of weights just to keep me feeling strong, although not in the interest of building mass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Im a boy so weights obviously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why do you just do weights? What is your reasoning behind it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awilson008)
    I prefer cardio over weights, but I do a lot of cycling so my main focus will always be on maintaining stamina. I also do a wee bit of weights just to keep me feeling strong, although not in the interest of building mass.
    Yes I do a lot of cycling also. I cycle every day and then do weights to ensure I am not small in my upper body, but I do not want to be big either!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANB1993)
    Why do you just do weights? What is your reasoning behind it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well my reason for using weights is to bulk up a bit for the holidays as im going on a Lads holiday to be honest! Tbh I've always played high intensity sports all my life so I don't need to do cardio in the gym. Plus, when you see the really well toned men at the gym with huge muscles you never see then on the cardio machines

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my reason for using weights is to bulk up a bit for the holidays as im going on a Lads holiday to be honest! Tbh I've always played high intensity sports all my life so I don't need to do cardio in the gym. Plus, when you see the really well toned men at the gym with huge muscles you never see then on the cardio machines

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah well if you are playing high intensity sports then that is good! I have just never understood the mentality of the 'meathead' culture in some gyms. Not calling you a meathead! But I mean in terms of doing no cardio whatsoever and not being able to run the length of yourself! I think the combination of the two makes your physique look the best!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a boy, so cardio obviously. I do vastly more cardio than weights. Makes me laugh a bit when you see people who are very muscley up top on the torso and arms yet their legs are nothing and they can't run for longer than 5 minutes.

Boys are intrested in weights for one of three reasons:

1. Primerily to attract girls
    2. Because they value their physique.
    3. Need it for sports.

Boys value cardio for one of one reasons:

1. Need it for sports

ReputationRep:
    Do cardio primarily with weights to supplement (both ego and for sports ) as I am looking to row at university.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well if you are playing high intensity sports then that is good! I have just never understood the mentality of the 'meathead' culture in some gyms. Not calling you a meathead! But I mean in terms of doing no cardio whatsoever and not being able to run the length of yourself! I think the combination of the two makes your physique look the best!
    I like the combination of using weights at the gym and cardio outside the gym. I dont understand why someone would only do cardio at the gym when you can do it outside by going for a run or cycling on your bike. You can only really access resistance machines and general weights at the gym so thats what I pay my membership for

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I like the combination of using weights at the gym and cardio outside the gym. I dont understand why someone would only do cardio at the gym when you can do it outside by going for a run or cycling on your bike. You can only really access resistance machines and general weights at the gym so thats what I pay my membership for

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes, I understand this. But what I mean is the people who do not engage in cardio outside the gym!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I understand this. But what I mean is the people who do not engage in cardio outside the gym!
    Ah yeah, silly people! Might aswell be active while we are young and able too haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah, silly people! Might aswell be active while we are young and able too haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha exactly what I think! But despite the fact a lot of people do it, no one ever seems to own up to doing it!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure tbh, probably weights but only certain exercises (mainly chest day lol)

I like running in the summer too, eating like a king over winter to bulk and then running all summer to get shredded!

ReputationRep:
    Weights all the way.

I do the odd bit of interval training to keep up my general fitness, and I enjoy skiing and playing frisbee for fun, but my main source of exercise comes from weightlifting. Can get a decent cardio workout if you train at high enough intensity as well (2 cleans for every jerk for example, or sets of 5 squats without too long a break).

ReputationRep:
    i found my way; circuit training with weights

ReputationRep:
    both

ReputationRep:
    Weights because being strong is awesome.

Also, that crappy BBC superstars thing pretty much puts the whole cardio vs weights thing to bed in terms of which is more transferable/useful.

Everyone who has come in the top 3 has been primarily a strength/power athelete bar the occasional rower, in the mens comp at least. Not so much with the wimminz for some reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superst...pic_Superstars

ReputationRep:
    I prefer weights. I'm happy with my own weight so I don't want to lose any. I do a little bit of cardio to warm up/down and have a quick run for fun. I may do the rowing machine for fun too. Majority of my workout is weights though. I need to tone up and build some muscle, I'm too skinny!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    I'm a boy, so cardio obviously. I do vastly more cardio than weights. Makes me laugh a bit when you see people who are very muscley up top on the torso and arms yet their legs are nothing and they can't run for longer than 5 minutes.

Boys are intrested in weights for one of three reasons:

1. Primerily to attract girls
    2. Because they value their physique.
    3. Need it for sports.

Boys value cardio for one of one reasons:

1. Need it for sports
    Obviously not, lots of people use cardio to improve their physiques. Fat loss anyone?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.