Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Cardio vs Weights Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Not sure tbh, probably weights but only certain exercises (mainly chest day lol)

I like running in the summer too, eating like a king over winter to bulk and then running all summer to get shredded!
    Agree with this. I love deadlifting and squatting (not the day after it though haha!)

Running makes me feel good. Nothing better than just putting your IPod in and going when the weather is nice. But like you say, I tend to avoid it over winter due to trying to bulk.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I like a bit of weights to ensure I have some muscle and tone. I cycle every single day and play Gaelic for my university which results in intense cardio from our crazy coach haha! I think the combination is the best!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Weights because being strong is awesome.

Also, that crappy BBC superstars thing pretty much puts the whole cardio vs weights thing to bed in terms of which is more transferable/useful.

Everyone who has come in the top 3 has been primarily a strength/power athelete bar the occasional rower, in the mens comp at least. Not so much with the wimminz for some reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superst...pic_Superstars
    W..what? Most of the athletes who come in the top three are primarily endurance based athletes. Alistair Brownlee came third last year and he can barely lift a weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    W..what? Most of the athletes who come in the top three are primarily endurance based athletes. Alistair Brownlee came third last year and he can barely lift a weight.
    Yeah but no-one cares about third place

Seriously though, look at all the mens top 3 finishers. There are an overwhelming amount of strength/power athletes vs cardio bunnies.

Hell, you only need to watch how feeble Mo Farrah is when asked to do anything that doesn't involve running in a straight line for an extended period of time. Compare and contrast his performance with that of the boxer dude that won (who was pretty jacked). I think that illustrates the point nicely.

ReputationRep:

Seriously though, look at all the mens top 3 finishers. There are an overwhelming amount of strength/power athletes vs cardio bunnies.

Hell, you only need to watch how feeble Mo Farrah is when asked to do anything that doesn't involve running in a straight line for an extended period of time. Compare and contrast his performance with that of the boxer dude that won (who was pretty jacked). I think that illustrates the point nicely.
    Well Mo Farrah beat THE CUBE, so he rules!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cardio because it helps in all areas of life to have a healthier heart.

ReputationRep:
    I hate questions like this.

Weights are a tool to be used for various forms of training and cardiovascular fitness/training is a very wide term and most types of weight training (especially hypertrophy training) involves a very important component of a very specific type of cardiovascular fitness.

I enjoy weight training but to be honest, I probably would never have started (and also probably wouldn't stick with it) if it weren't for the fact that it makes you stronger.

On the other hand, with things like running, hill walking, football and various martial arts and boxing - I would do them just for fun even if they had no fitness benefits. So I suppose you could say in a way that I prefer those types of training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hart1995)
    Well Mo Farrah beat THE CUBE, so he rules!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? Wow. I got him so wrong. Seems like he is in fact, awesome.

To answer the OP properly:

I want to be strong and in shape, therefore I lift weights hard and do hard conditioning (prowler, hills, sleds). I also do lighter 'cardio' stuff too. However I've only just done the last two with any regularity for the last couple of months.

Considering how I got by OK for the last 2 years or so just lifting heavy stuff I would argue that weights alone done properly will provide the mose benefits in terms of conditioning and body comp vs any type of cardio.

Lifting weights made it possible for me to run a 5k in a reasonable time without great difficulty or practice. On the contrary, running does not have any transferability to any skill other than running. Hence why cardio alone is pretty silly unless you want to compete in cardio.

ReputationRep:

This is quite interesting. They have a show here in Norway called "best of the best" which is basically like superstars. The women's version was won by a (not that good) downhill skiier. The men's version was won my downhill world champion Aksel Lund Svindal. The Austrian version was won by former downhill champion Herman Meier.

I don't think this is a coincidence! I wonder what is is about downhill skiing that makes them such good all-round athletes?

EDIT: just checked the link you posted. Skiier Alain Baxter won the UK version in 2004. Even more convinced now.

ReputationRep:
    weights with cardio for shredding the fat, my ultimate goal is to become 180LBS at 8% bodyfat.

GO LEAN OR GO HOME

ReputationRep:
    Lifting weights made it possible for me to run a 5k in a reasonable time without great difficulty or practice. On the contrary, running does not have any transferability to any skill other than running. Hence why cardio alone is pretty silly unless you want to compete in cardio.
    Or ya know, you just enjoy going for a jog... I mean, I like going for the odd jog or hill climb or even a plain walk. It just relaxes me. Sure, I get a bit better the more I do but I have no desire to really 'train' it, get good at running and compete yet I still like to do it.

Exercise doesn't just have to be about self improvement or competing.

ReputationRep:
    It's transferable to all cardio based sports, of which there are many, that's why it's used for cross training.

It's good that you can run 5k, although I doubt that can be attributed solely to lifting weights, possibly from a healthy lifestyle, general fitness and getting out a bit. 5k is really the minimum though, curious to know what times you where getting?

To be fair, i'm not actually that good at running for the amount of CV I do, I thought I would be better. I'm finding that if you want to get good at a sport, you need to spend time playing that sport and not cross training. Althought this isn't always an option.

Also, I don't enjoy weights that much. I get a big high off running and CV something i've _never_ had lifting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    It's good that you can run 5k, although I doubt that can be attributed solely to lifting weights, possibly from a healthy lifestyle, general fitness and getting out a bit.
    The point here is that 99% of the ways in which people train with weights actually constitutes a form of cardiovascular training. Even at the most extreme end of pure strength training at the end of the day, generating maximal muscular tension involves still involves the cardiovascular system since the cardiovascular system is used to deliver nutrients and remove waste products - not just oxygen.

The other point here is that anaerobic respiration causes aerobic respiration i.e. excess post-exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). I guess that is why things like weight training or sprint intervals have a positive effect on things like your ability to run 5k.

ReputationRep:
    Cardio.
    Overall condition, an endurance is the most important (for me) key in attending the gym.
    Weights? Free weights are boring, I much more prefer doing kettlebells.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    Or ya know, you just enjoy going for a jog... I mean, I like going for the odd jog or hill climb or even a plain walk. It just relaxes me. Sure, I get a bit better the more I do but I have no desire to really 'train' it, get good at running and compete yet I still like to do it.

Exercise doesn't just have to be about self improvement or competing.
    Very true and well put.

(Original post by Pegasus2)
    It's transferable to all cardio based sports, of which there are many, that's why it's used for cross training.

It's good that you can run 5k, although I doubt that can be attributed solely to lifting weights, possibly from a healthy lifestyle, general fitness and getting out a bit. 5k is really the minimum though, curious to know what times you where getting?

To be fair, i'm not actually that good at running for the amount of CV I do, I thought I would be better. I'm finding that if you want to get good at a sport, you need to spend time playing that sport and not cross training. Althought this isn't always an option.

Also, I don't enjoy weights that much. I get a big high off running and CV something i've _never_ had lifting.
    I would attribute it to lifting alone, considering how I used to be a fatarse. I started lifting and eating properly, lost a load of weight and was able to run a 5k or so in a reasonable time. Having not run anywhere ever.

Also, what Mark85 said.

I think people do cardio because, truth be told, it's easier than lifting. You don't have to think nor do you have to go at it with any level of commitment to not suck at it. That combined with the 'we're all winners' attitude of most public running meets gives people the impression that they're achieving something when in reality, they're not.

Note that the above doesn't apply to hardcore endurance athletes. Those dudes are nuts and awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer cardio, just because I find it more enjoyable. Though I must confess I do find it a bit intimidating when there's just a load of blokes standing around watching on the weights so maybe that puts me off a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cardio is more building your heart and short term calorie burn

Weights will build muscle which doesn't burn anywhere near as much calories in the session but in the long term raises your metabolism due to increased muscle mass. ( You can eat more)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very true and well put.

I would attribute it to lifting alone, considering how I used to be a fatarse. I started lifting and eating properly, lost a load of weight and was able to run a 5k or so in a reasonable time. Having not run anywhere ever.

Also, what Mark85 said.

I think people do cardio because, truth be told, it's easier than lifting. You don't have to think nor do you have to go at it with any level of commitment to not suck at it. That combined with the 'we're all winners' attitude of most public running meets gives people the impression that they're achieving something when in reality, they're not.

Note that the above doesn't apply to hardcore endurance athletes. Those dudes are nuts and awesome.
    oh fair enough.

Different levels of cardio we are thinking, yes I know people walk around the race for life. Slightly ironic if it were actually as the name suggests...a race for life.

I can regularly wring my top and shorts out after a gym session. I've gotten out of swimming pools dryer. I never see this in the weights section, no one even breaks a sweat over there, come to think of it I rarely see it in the cardio section to be honest, few people stay on the machines long enough or put the effort in.

I come home from most sessions a broken person both mentally and physically.

ReputationRep:
    About 80% of the time I spend at the gym is in the weight room, but I make sure to do cardio.

ReputationRep:

That said, to piss around at weight training is just as easy as pissing about with running or going on an elliptical etc. I think that is really what this is all about - how much effort you put into stuff. Sure, going for a light jog is easier than doing 8 sets of 5 squats with your 8rm but conversely, doing 6 x 1k intervals all out is harder than doing a few sets of 10 with your 20rm (which at the end of the day is akin to what a lot of casual weight trainers do). I mean that is effectively what you are saying in your last sentence.

It also depends on what you count as sucking or not. I mean, the majority of people would have to train pretty hard for a decent amount of time to get, for example, a sub 19 minute 5k.

I think people just go for an activity that is familiar to them and weight training isn't as common as other activities and in contrast to say, running, generally requires that you actually go and join a gym. Whether people choose to work hard or not is kind of a separate issue as to what it is they train at.

For me the most spent physically and the hardest I have worked was a race with a mate up Snowdon.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.