Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im an A level student in England, my predictions for A2 are A*A*A* (Maths, Chem, Bio) . I really like the look of Canada and want to move there sometime in the future.
    Medicine is the career that I have had my heart set on, however after looking into it more deeply I might change my mind and go for chemistry biased.

How difficult is it to study abroad in canada? Is it worth doing since the most unis in the UK are far better? Could I get any scholarships?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mo_maths)
    Hi,
    Im an A level student in England, my predictions for A2 are A*A*A* (Maths, Chem, Bio) . I really like the look of Canada and want to move there sometime in the future.
    Medicine is the career that I have had my heart set on, however after looking into it more deeply I might change my mind and go for chemistry biased.

How difficult is it to study abroad in canada? Is it worth doing since the most unis in the UK are far better? Could I get any scholarships?
    Hi there. It's pretty hard explaining whether or not it is difficult to study abroad in Canada, since it really depends on the person. If you are comfortable with the UK system, then I would assume it should be easy for you with the Canadian system. Considering that you have high predictions for your A-levels, first year should be easy for you (should you decide not to take the transfer credits).

Personally, I don't think there's any point in you going to Canada to study, since medicine is not a direct program straight from high school, unlike the UK. There is also a very limited number of spots available in selected universities for international students wanting to apply for medicine in Canada.

You would be able to get scholarships and that would depend on the university you are applying for. For high-ranked universities like McGill and U of T, it would be really difficult getting a good scholarship. Other universities do provide a good amount of bursaries and scholarships for international students.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend you to study in the UK if you are sure that you are going into medicine. However, if you are planning to do chemistry, then by all means apply for Canadian universities.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_Gravity91)
    Hi there. It's pretty hard explaining whether or not it is difficult to study abroad in Canada, since it really depends on the person. If you are comfortable with the UK system, then I would assume it should be easy for you with the Canadian system. Considering that you have high predictions for your A-levels, first year should be easy for you (should you decide not to take the transfer credits).

Personally, I don't think there's any point in you going to Canada to study, since medicine is not a direct program straight from high school, unlike the UK. There is also a very limited number of spots available in selected universities for international students wanting to apply for medicine in Canada.

You would be able to get scholarships and that would depend on the university you are applying for. For high-ranked universities like McGill and U of T, it would be really difficult getting a good scholarship. Other universities do provide a good amount of bursaries and scholarships for international students.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend you to study in the UK if you are sure that you are going into medicine. However, if you are planning to do chemistry, then by all means apply for Canadian universities.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you for your help

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.