Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to ask this question in two parts:

1) The more important part: My sister will be getting married in September and I have been asked to do a performance at the reception. It won't be just me, there will also be a few other people, but basically we will be dancing. How do I make myself good at dancing so when it comes to actually learning the steps and then performing, I don't look like an idiot on stage? What are the most common mistakes performers make and how can I not do these so I can dance well on stage?

2) After everything is done, like all receptions, there will be some music and whatever and people will be dancing like they would normally (obviously its not an organised dance now), how do I dance well here so again, I don't look like an idiot. I can't dance to save my life in clubs or whatever and this is going to be different as it is a non-alcoholic event and so it's not like I can get drunk and not care what I'm doing, and even if I do, there will be a lot of people watching me. How can I dance well here so I don't look stupid? I swear I have two left feet, but from what I've heard, dancing is just like walking. You are just learning how to co-ordinate your body. So how do I teach myself how to do this?

ReputationRep:
    1) Practice

2)

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    1) Practice

2)/thread
    Yeah but how do I practice dancing like you would in a club or something? And how do I know I don't look stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Yeah but how do I practice dancing like you would in a club or something? And how do I know I don't look stupid?
    I was exactly like you once, then I realised no one gave a **** how you were dancing, if you were dancing NOTICEABLY embarrassingly, you would know about it fast.

Since I stopped giving a ****, I have much more fun clubbing. Just relax, copy other people, do what feels natural, begin by just bobbing with the rhythm, can't go wrong with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    I was exactly like you once, then I realised no one gave a **** how you were dancing, if you were dancing NOTICEABLY embarrassingly, you would know about it fast.

Since I stopped giving a ****, I have much more fun clubbing. Just relax, copy other people, do what feels natural, begin by just bobbing with the rhythm, can't go wrong with that.
    Clubbing wise I don't mind. It's dark and whatever so no-one can really see you. My problem will be when I start dancing at the reception in my sisters wedding, in the "after party" bit. Here, it's going to be with a load of sober people, in a decent lit area and I don't want to look like an idiot in front of everyone lol.

ReputationRep:
    You will look like an idiot regardless.

Accept it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.